Head of Mathematics, London SW2
An exciting opportunity has become available for a Mathematics specialist to join as the Head of Department.
Salary: MPR/UPR (Inner London) plus TLR 1B Contract term: Permanent
Are you an inspirational, dynamic and highly skilled teacher, someone who has exceptional leadership qualities who will embrace change and challenge? Are you an effective leader who is able to motivate and inspire others? Are you passionate about achieving the highest possible standards in Maths for every student and helping them to become confident mathematicians?
We are looking for someone who will successfully lead the department on a journey of continuous improvement.
We want someone to join us who is passionate about making a difference to the outcomes and life chances of our students, within our ethos where they are 'inspired to learn' and are 'ambitious for the future'.
Start date - September 2018
Contract Length - PERMANENT
Location - South London
Remuneration - Paid to Scale
An academy based in south west London are looking for a fully qualified, experienced and inspiring Math Teacher to join their successful Maths department on a permanent basis as the Head of Department. The successful HOD will have excellent subject knowledge and be able to teach up to KS3 & KS4 Maths confidently. Ability to teach up to KS5 Maths is desirable. You must have a strong track record as 2i/c or senior maths teacher for several years to be considered for the HOD post.
This school is based in a beautiful building with history and heritage in South West London & is a good girls School; with creative and vocational studies catering for students aged 11-19. Average class sizes are 20 across all subjects and significantly smaller in the Sixth Form. The school holds traditional values and is all about community spirit, well being
The Ideal HOD Maths Teacher
To be considered for this post you will be an enthusiastic, experienced Maths Teacher with excellent knowledge of the Maths curriculum at KS3 and KS4. You must have a desire to lead a team and department and be fully involved in helping the Maths department achieve good results & develop the overall Maths ability of all students. You will also be expected to have demonstrable experience in the following:
OVERALL OBJECTIVES FOR THE POST:
- Provide professional leadership and management for the mathematics curriculum area in order to secure high quality teaching, effective use of resources and improved standards of learning and achievement for all students.
- To perform the functions of a school teacher as set out in the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD)
- To meet the Professional Standards for Teachers'
- Structured Lesson Planning
- Behavioural & Classroom Management
- Organisational Skills
- Leadership skills
- Drive and dedication
- You will be able to lead by example and must be able to like all teachers in the school Plan, deliver and assess differentiated, challenging lessons (and homework)
- Plan effectively to ensure that students could fulfil their potential and make good progress
- Liaise with your staff and support staff when appropriate
- Assess record and report on the development, progress and attainment of students and communicating this effectively to students via marking and feedback and to parents via reports, parents' evenings etc.
- Set high expectations for pupils' behaviour and attendance; establishing and maintaining a good standard of discipline through well-focused teaching as well as positive and productive relationships
- Engage with Appraisal to improve the quality of your teaching and your teams; taking responsibility for own and departments professional development and taking action to keep up-to-date with research and development in pedagogy and in the subject(s) taught
- Implement and engage with whole school priorities as set out in the Raising Achievement Plan
- To lead and manage the subject area.
- To be accountable for student progress and attainment levels within the subject area.
- To ensure that strategies are in place to maximise levels of progress and attainment in the subject area and in mathematics and numeracy for all students across the curriculum to produce the Departmental SEF and Improvement Plan, monitor and evaluate its implementation and impact.
- To develop and enhance the practice of other members of staff in the subject area.
- To maintain a presence around the school to ensure that the highest standards of behaviour are upheld.
- To contribute to discussions and decisions at Heads of Department/Academic Board Meetings.
- To maintain a teaching timetable, modelling outstanding practice in terms of classroom teaching, preparation, marking and assessment.
Upper Pay Spine Expectations:
A teacher on the Upper Pay Spine is expected to demonstrate a sustained and substantial contribution to the school. In addition, teachers on UPS 3 must provide a role model for others and demonstrate a unique contribution to the school, in particular, an active role in coaching and mentoring with colleagues. Full criteria for UPR promotions are published annually in the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document.
All teaching staff professional responsibilities:
- Work within the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions document and undertake all the duties associated with the role of subject teacher
- Teach as directed
- Promote the Christian values of the school
- Monitor, expect and improve progress in student learning
- Participate in the pastoral management of the school as requested
- Take part in appraisal procedures outlined in the agreed school policy
- Take responsibility for own professional development
- Be accountable for the progress and attainment of all teaching groups
- Meet all the Teachers' Standards and maintain a level of performance in line
- Lead staff supervisory duties as published
The successful applicant will have:
- A recognised Teaching Qualification (PGCE, QTS, BEd. or equivalent)
- Ability to teach Maths at KS3 & KS4
- Ability to teach up to KS5 Maths is desirable
- Eligibility to work in the UK without restrictions
- Have experience in a senior maths position
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80967616