Technical Instructor - Animal Care and Horticulture
Stockton Hall is a highly specialist hospital where patients requiring a medium secure care setting can maximise value from therapeutic interventions. Our services have produced excellent recovery results for patients and they are able to progress to low secure or locked rehabilitation if possible.
The facility is split across seven wards as follows:
16 bedded female ward - Mental Health and Personality Disorder
16 bedded male ward - Personality Disorder
8 bedded elderly male ward - for those with a settled in presentation in need of rehabilitation for mental illness and/or personality disorders
Two 24 bedded male wards for mental health focus
- To work under the supervision of a qualified Occupational Therapist, ensuring effective communication liaison at all times.
- To work in liaison with Occupational Therapists in developing those rehabilitation programmes including horticulture and animal care.
- To educate patients about relevant aspects of horticulture.
- To take a lead role in the care and upkeep of the animals, abiding by the Animal Welfare Act at all times.
- To familiarise yourself with the individual needs and risks of the patients you are working with.
- To participate in supervision and feedback sessions with the identified Occupational Therapist.
- To be aware of, and work within individuals patients’ treatment/ management plans.
- To maintain patient documentation and statistical records, working within the bounds of confidentiality.
- To comply with the individual responsibilities under the Health & Safety Act
- Knowledge about the Animal Welfare Act and how to look after small animals, birds and fish
- Knowledge of horticulture/ gardening
- Ability to empathise with patients but not breach staff/patient confidentiality
- Good and effective communication skills with a variety of agencies
- Good people skills – friendly , talkative and honest
- None essential
- Experience of working with vulnerable adults is desirable
- 33 days’ annual leave including Bank Holidays (At commencement of employment)
- A Group Personal Pension Plan (GPPP)
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Free meals/ refreshments when on duty
- Carefirst – Employee Assistant Services
- Continuous learning and development
- Childcare vouchers
- Career development
- Personal Health Insurance
- An Employee Assistant Programme
- Voluntary benefits
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80967958