Data & Portfolio Analyst
DATA & PORTFOLIO ANALYST
SALARY: £45k circ. per annum
RESPONSIBLE TO: Data & Portfolio Director
About Big Society Capital
Big Society Capital’s aim is to improve the lives of people in the UK by connecting investment to charities and social enterprises that are creating social change. We do this by bringing together our investment capital, our expertise and our network of partners. Over the next three years, we will help to build broad understanding of social investment as well as focus on priority areas where social investment has a catalytic role to play in addressing social problems.
Overall purpose of role
Assist the Data and Portfolio Director in ensuring that Big Society Capital manages data and systems effectively in order to produce accurate, timely and strategic management information to be used in external and board reporting. In an emerging market this data willl be a crucial driver of Big Society Capital and our partners’ learning, decision-making and strategic planning.
The Data and Portfolio Analyst will have experience working with data, preferably in an investment context, and bring knowledge of best practice in management, analysis and sharing. They will be familiar with Salesforce. They may also have an accountancy or data science qualification, and experience in using Tableu.
Fluid responding to business needs but willing to include elements of:
- Assist the DPD to meet BSC’s data requirements, including establishing priorities, planning systems and process changes and efficiently implementing these changes
- Expand the volume and improving the quality of data on social investment activity and performance
- Ensuring that information and data stored on Salesforce and other management information systems is up-to-date and accurate
- Using Tableau to present data clearly - allowing users to have insight into Social Investment through the Data Dives blog series
- Developing the methods used to collect and understand social impact data
- Connecting social investment data to relevant data sets in order to gather and share insights
- Assisting with Salesforce and Salesforce Community platforms ensuring both systems are fit for purpose and operating effectively
- Co-ordinating the use of salesforce across the office (e.g. pipeline, strategy & origination projects)
- Offering immediate helpdesk support and training to internal staff and intermediaries
- Ensuring Salesforce is meeting the needs of each department: Investment, Finance, Legal and Engagement
Portfolio Management Support
- Helping to embed portfolio management processes across the Investment group, ensuring that this is consistent across the portfolio and through time
- Work with DPD on the preparation of the quarterly board and portfolio performance dashboards
- Supporting the Investment group with portfolio management requirements, including preparing valuation papers, monitoring milestones, RAG rating and IRR update
- Setting up process and systems to share learning across the portfolio
- Tracking submissions and maintaining a record of monitoring reporting from Intermediaries
- Support and assist the work on investment pipeline, including the whole investment life cycle
- Support all processes for intermediary development, including the Building Blocks tool
- Monitoring agreed action points coming out of the Building Block reviews
- Setting up process and systems to share learning between intermediaries
- Experience in data management
- Microsoft Excel
- A background in work experience relevant to Big Society Capital objectives (such as government, social enterprise, finance or Investment)
- A passion for and demonstrable commitment to Big Society Capital's social mission and the UK sector
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- People influencing skills
- Experience and competency in:
- Proven project management skills
- Salesforce knowledge
- Tableau for data visualisation
- Structured thinker able to deal with complexity and uncertainty
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work towards a bigger vision, which may be a moving target
We are passionate and energetic in our work to bring about our long- term vision of a thriving social investment market that enables positive social impact.
We give our team the autonomy and flexibility to be entrepreneurial and creative. We have the courage to push boundaries and have a restless drive for change
We listen, learn, experiment and collaborate. We are adaptive and flexible in responding to what we learn.
We take a rigorous approach in all we do. We expect the highest standards and continually strive for excellence.
We are genuine in both our approach and aspiration. We value each member of our team and our partners for what they bring.
Benefits of working for Big Society Capital
We will ask a lot of successful candidates – but in return working life at Big Society Capital offers:
- The privilege (and responsibility) of working in a globally pioneering organisation, backed by a substantial balance sheet
- The chance to work with top-flight colleagues, who are a source of support and encouragement
- A can-do culture. There is no ‘face time’ at Big Society Capital
- The opportunity, once proven, to sit on corporate and advisory boards of investees and partner organisations
- Formal training and learning opportunities
- Salary and benefit package that is very competitive within the UK social and public sector, and that includes contributory pension plan, health insurance, childcare voucher scheme and other benefits
All applicants must have existing Right to Work in the UK.
Big Society Capital is an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply
Application is by covering letter (no more than one side of A4) and CV (no more than two sides of A4), clearly stating where you saw the advert, sent by email via the button below.
Closing date for applications: 09:00 Wednesday 2nd May 2018