Mechanical Design Engineer
Do you have a qualification in Environmental Sciences or similar discipline?
You can help realise a clean energy future by playing your part in helping to develop Fusion Energy.
Here at UKAEA we are working on ways to make Fusion a reality and you can become part of this exciting zero carbon future.
You'll join the Waste Management Group (WMG) working closely with the Materials Research Facility. The WMG provides full waste management services to the Culham site and specialist operational support to a key Fusion experiment. WMG also plays key roles in business development, collaboration as well as EUROFusion and TRANSAT Horizon 2020 (H2020) R&D programmes.
In this role, you'll provide a strategic approach to Environment Agency (EA) regulatory issues and manage the Joint European Torus (JET) decommissioning planning interface with the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA).
The waste industry and regulatory framework have evolved significantly in recent years and while adequate guidance is normally available, it can be complex in nature and have far reaching effects for site operations. On site waste guidance would be in part developed by you.
You'll be required to:
* Develop, implement and maintain the Integrated Waste Strategy (IWS)
* Prepare option reviews to demonstrate application of 'best available techniques' (BAT)
* Develop supporting cases for Permit variations
* Engage in some stakeholder interface.
* Prepare ERP Permit variations and BAT studies
* Provide technical reports and tools to support compliance with regulatory requirements
* Review research and legislative changes in support of compliance and strategic decision making
* Management of JET decommissioning plan and ongoing support of the contract with the NDA
* To be Qualified to Degree Level in a relevant environmental, scientific or engineering discipline
* Experience in a similar role.
* Ability to identify key issues & important facts, write technical reports and appropriately summarise the main points..
* Excellent communication skills - ability to communicate and relate to all levels of staff and key stakeholders such as the client, regulators ad local elected officials
* Sound knowledge of relevant waste and environmental legislation and national guidance
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.