Finance & Business Development Manager - Kingston upon Thames
£57,494 per annum for working 36 hours per week, based at County Hall, Penrhyn Road, Kingston Upon Thames. This position is based inside one of our main area offices, click HERE to see a 360 degree view of the building and surrounding area along with a view of the reception.
Flexible working supported where possible, laptop and mobile supplied. 24 days annual leave, local government salary-related pension offered, discounted child care vouchers as well as the option to join the car lease scheme. For more information, please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
This post has been designated as a politically restricted post in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
About the Role
This is a chance to join a high profile finance department which is at the forefront of new financial initiatives and best practice during these challenging times. You'll be part of a highly motivated team applying innovative thinking and increasing commercial awareness to large scale financial issues.
We are looking for pro-active finance professionals to join a small finance project team, taking a key role in driving forward innovation and commercially based business. Since forming in 2013 the team have been instrumental in creating 3 Joint Ventures, 4 trading companies and delivering a property investment portfolio delivering over £50m gross income.
The finance team is part of the Orbis partnership – a partnership of the business service functions of Surrey County Council, East Sussex County Council and Brighton & Hove City Council. This role will primarily be based in Kingston however you are expected to be able to travel as some projects may take you to the other locations in the partnership – to Lewes in East Sussex and to Brighton & Hove.
You will be confident and familiar with commercial decision-making issues, with the ability to develop business cases for investment and business plans. You will be able to provide robust financial analysis and to analyse commercial opportunities, including the preparation of the financial input to tender responses.
You will drive forward a variety of project assignments with a primary focus on activities that deliver income, commercial & trading opportunities and the consideration and establishment of new models of delivery – including partnerships and arm’s length trading entities. You will therefore be innovative in nature and have an enquiring mind-set but grounded in sound governance practice and evidenced based business practice.
To be shortlisted to interview for this position your application will clearly evidence that:
- You are a graduate qualified accountant
- You have a track record of delivering complex projects
- You have excellent relationship building, problem solving and analytical skills
- You are a team player with a flexible hands on, pro-active approach and a can do attitude,
- You are the type of person who has the confidence and ability to ask the right questions, at the right time and to act as a critical friend to the business.Salary will be based upon experience and suitability for the role.
- For more information please find attached to the bottom of this advert a full job description and person specification. We look forward to receiving your application. To apply, please upload your CV and cover letter.
- Above all else, value for money for the taxpayer is at the heart of what we aiming to achieve. Public sector experience is not required for this role, but you will have the intellect and networking ability to feel confident in a large complex organisation.
Please note that this advert closes at 23:459 on 22nd April 2018.
Interview dates are to be confirmed.
Please note, if access to the GCSX (PSN) network is required for this role, a Basic Disclosure (DBS check) will be required to meet the Government Baseline Personnel Security Standards.
Equal Opportunity, Values and Behaviours
Orbis and Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under-represented groups.
We asked everyone across Orbis what words, values and behaviours they think will be crucial to Orbis' success. We then took these and shaped them into a set of statements that epitomise what everyone working within Orbis should strive towards. We call this 'being EPIC':
- Being seen as having Expertise
- Having Passion in what we do
- Being curious to deliver Innovation
- Having the Customer at the heart of everything that we do
- The Orbis behaviours are what people experience when they interact. They encompass how we do our work and how we treat other.
- Make things happen - Taking ownership and accountability to deliver results
- Challenge the status quo - Always looking for opportunities to further improve
- Be customer centred - Delivering excellent services to our customers and residents, based on strong insight and relationships
- Achieve more together - Working with others to achieve more than could have been achieved alone
- Role model our Public Service values - Always behaving in a way that is consistent with the values unique to the Public Sector
- Lead by example - Consistently role modelling the Orbis behaviours
- Empower- leading in a way that enables others to take action and develop themselves
- Inspire and involve - Setting a clear direction and involving others in the achievement of it