Investment Property Accountant - Kingston upon Thames
£50,903 per annum for 36 hours per week. Based at County Hall, Penrhyn Road, Kingston Upon Thames. This position is based inside one of our main area offices, click HERE to see a 360 degree view of the building and surrounding area along with a view of the reception.
Flexible working supported where possible, laptop and mobile supplied. 24 days annual leave, local government salary-related pension offered as well as the option to join the car lease scheme. For more information, please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff
About the Role
This is a chance to join a high profile property investment team – We have an investment portfolio of over £300m with ambitions to continue to grow further. We are looking to recruit an experienced professional property accountant to provide a comprehensive financial and management reporting service for our investment portfolio. Our property investments have been purchased by both the council and by our wholly owned property company (Halsey Garton Property Ltd) and therefore your role includes the provision of monthly board packs to the Directors of the property company.
You will be joining a highly regarded finance team at the forefront of new financial initiatives and best practice – part of a highly motivated team applying innovative thinking and increasing commercial awareness to large scale financial issues. The team works closely with property and legal professionals and with external specialist advisors when required.
We will expect you to put in place an appropriate financial system to support the growth in the company’s portfolio and maintain our record of fully satisfactory external audits. You will be responsible for working with our specialist external tax advisors and for the completion of the year end statutory financial accounts.
You will be part of a small team enjoying the benefits of a small company but within the context of a bigger organisation.
You will be confident and familiar with accounting for property investments and able to provide additional resilience if required in the evaluation of investment opportunities. Your management reporting will be thorough and robust.
You will be a qualified accountant with excellent relationship building, problem solving, and analytical skills. You will also be a highly organised team player with a flexible hands-on, pro-active approach and a can do attitude.
Public sector experience is not required for this role.
Key responsibilities include;
- Production of financial accounts ensuring compliance with the relevant reporting standards and as required by the council for its group accounts.
- Develop a detailed understanding and knowledge of the company group structure and its relationships and interactions with its shareholder, providing effective analytical review and understanding of key transactions at the entity level.
- Liaison with internal stakeholders to ensure timely completion and approval of statutory accounts and management of external audit requirements
- Preparation of comprehensive management report packs, liaising with the asset manager to update individual investment forecasts.
- Identification and implementation of an accounting package for the property investment company.
- Support the asset manager with identifying and resolving any issues arising with our managing agents and / or tenants.
- Provide oversight to ensure that team members are providing excellent transactional, VAT and cash management support to the investment portfolio.
- Please ensure that you refer to the full job description and person specification attached at the bottom of this advert before submitting your application. To apply, please upload your CV and cover letter.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 22nd April 2018.
Interview dates are to be confirmed.
Please note, if access to the GCSX (PSN) network is required for this role, a Basic Disclosure (DBS check) will be required to meet the Government Baseline Personnel Security Standards.
Equal Opportunity, Values and Behaviours
Orbis and Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under-represented groups.
We asked everyone across Orbis what words, values and behaviours they think will be crucial to Orbis' success. We then took these and shaped them into a set of statements that epitomise what everyone working within Orbis should strive towards. We call this 'being EPIC':
- Being seen as having Expertise
- Having Passion in what we do
- Being curious to deliver Innovation
- Having the Customer at the heart of everything that we do
- The Orbis behaviours are what people experience when they interact. They encompass how we do our work and how we treat other.
- Make things happen - Taking ownership and accountability to deliver results
- Challenge the status quo - Always looking for opportunities to further improve
- Be customer centred - Delivering excellent services to our customers and residents, based on strong insight and relationships
- Achieve more together - Working with others to achieve more than could have been achieved alone
- Role model our Public Service values - Always behaving in a way that is consistent with the values unique to the Public Sector
- Lead by example - Consistently role modelling the Orbis behaviours
- Empower- leading in a way that enables others to take action and develop themselves
- Inspire and involve - Setting a clear direction and involving others in the achievement of it