Personal Lines Underwriter- Broker
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join our Broker area as a Personal Lines Underwriter. You’ll support the delivery of the business plan and strategic goals by managing the audit and control of Personal Lines business (home and car)
In this role, you’ll undertake market research and monitor internal MI, identify opportunities and recommend changes to our products and processes to ensure they are competitive, meet customer expectations and comply with regulatory requirements.
Reporting into the technical underwriting manager, you’ll define product strategy and collaborate closely with colleagues across the business to ensure successful delivery of product initiatives. You’ll also act as expert referral point for other parts of the business and provide technical support, training and guidance.
This role will be based in our Croydon office, although there may be occasional visits to our Brentwood office required, to visit our Operations teams.
You’ll be a self-starter with the ability to proactively work on your own initiative. Ideally you’ll come from an insurance background and will have underwriting experience. You’ll have a clear understanding of procedures and controls within an underwriting team with a reasonable knowledge of the market.
Your friendly, confident and professional manner will be key to your success in interacting with stakeholders and building relationships. Just as importantly, you’re organised and have an analytical approach with the ability to identify issues, trends and make sound judgement.
However, all things said, it’s your positive and can-do attitude that benefits us the most. So if you consider yourself a less experienced professional and are enthusiastic for a challenge we’d consider offering the position as a development opportunity to a promising candidate.
You will need to:
- Deal with policies which fall out of the standard underwriting process including cancellation or voidance of policies if required.
- Handle complex technical Underwriting queries and indemnities from various areas of the business and externally.
- Review product and competitor features and identify commercial opportunities for product development and for areas where growth can occur.
- Analyse MI to review incoming business to ensure quality and portfolio mix and make recommendations to enhance or develop the business.
- Assist in delivering consistent policy terms and wording across all products and distribution channels, to manage underwriting risk and be compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Review claims, and liaise with the claims department on emerging patterns.
- Handle complaints ensuring that company and regulatory requirements are met.
- Create and sign off underwriting test packs for new broker products or systems and assist with test and development process.
- Support the Operational Underwriting team:
- Identify training requirements and implement effective coaching and training.
- Agree and manage underwriting authorities within the team Agree and implement new/improved working practices.
- Create process maps
- Review audits to ensure competence is maintained and enhanced
- Handle technical underwriting referrals from Senior Technician and where authority is outside Operations permitted limitsUnderstand and comply on an on-going basis with all legal, regulatory and industry codes of practice and provide compliance training and coaching within the wider UW team
- Take personal ownership for applying TCF within the team and ensure that it is fully embedded within the team culture.
- Support the driving of change and innovation by constantly improving working practices and streamlining processes, whilst maintaining an active part in all Underwriting related project work.
- Maintain reference material ensuring timely updates and rollout.
About the Rewards
This role is a Band B in the LV= Structure. We want you to love what you do that’s why we’ve put together a benefits package that recognises and rewards a job well done.
We’ll give you:
- 26 days' holiday - which increases after two years’ service to 28 days
- a competitive pension for which LV= will pay twice the amount you pay, up to 14%
- an annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- a flexible benefits package (e.g. discounted retail vouchers, great value dental insurance, childcare vouchers)
- a generous 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel. Up to 50% discount on your car insurance and up to 20% discount from our life products.