Governance and Information Lawyer
Braintree District Council have an exciting opportunity for a Governance and Information Lawyer to join their growing team based in Braintree, Essex.
Job Title: Governance and Information Lawyer
Location: Braintree, Essex
Salary: £31,719 - £36,519 per annum
Job Type: Fixed Term Contract until 31st March 2020 - 37 hours per week
Are you up for a new challenge?
Braintree District Council is looking for a new Governance and Information Lawyer to support the Council over a wide range of projects including the new Data Protection frameworks.
With the introduction of GDPR the Council is strengthening its internal team looking at these issues. We are looking for someone who is practically minded with the ability to influence the organisation to ensure compliance with relevant legal frameworks. As someone with a background in the relevant legal frameworks this is an ideal role to strengthen and widen your experience within an organisation committed to developing its team.
The team provides support to the whole Council, including Members. This role will be involved in both the delivery of a high quality service but also challenging us to improve business practices. There will be a need to work closely with customers and external partners to enable this development and ensure that we deliver key customer needs.
Governance and Information Lawyer - Key Responsibilities:
- To support the Head of Governance and Governance and Members Manager in managing and maintaining systems of good governance which ensure that the Council’s responsibilities and decision-making processes are effectively managed and decisions are made in a lawful, clear and transparent manner, in accordance with the Council’s constitution
- To support the management of data subject access requests and internal reviews for disclosures under the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations
- To provide expert advice to the Council and where appropriate draft privacy notices, fair processing notices and any other data protection documentation in order to ensure that individuals are aware of our intentions to process their data and ensuring that the Council is processing personal data in a fair and lawful manner in line with the individuals’ rights
- To investigate and report on any processing, blocking, erasure, destruction and the right to be forgotten notices issued by individuals in accordance with relevant legislation, ensuring that the purposes of the processing are compatible with the conditions for processing in accordance with that legislation and to respond to individuals accordingly
- To investigate breaches and incidents of data protection, establishing any potential weaknesses in Council policies and inform the Information Governance Board accordingly.
Governance and Information Lawyer - Why choose Braintree District Council?
Braintree is an ambitious and dynamic Council and is becoming one of the fastest growing Districts in the East of England with three growing towns, London just 45 minutes away and the district located directly between the international transport centres of Stansted Airport and Harwich and Felixstowe International Ports. We have a deserved track record for delivering and a strong reputation within the business community.
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative, innovative and forward thinking approach which is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.
Governance and Information Lawyer - You:
- To be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Legal Executive with appropriate experience post qualification; or to be able to demonstrate effective knowledge and experience with equivalent knowledge and expertise in the relevant areas
- Knowledge of key legislation and issues relating to the service
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Knowledge and a good understanding of Microsoft Office
- Project management skills and the ability to support change within services
- High level analytical, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills
- Creating and maintaining relationships with clients including colleagues and Members
Governance and Information Lawyer - Benefits:
- Local government pension scheme
- Learning and development for all staff
- Staff discounts at local businesses
- Staff recognition schemes
- Extensive health and wellbeing programme including discounted gym membership
Closing date for receipt of applications: 27th April 2018
To submit your CV and a Covering Letter detailing how you meet the skills, knowledge and experience for this Governance and Information Lawyer role click 'Apply’ now to be redirected to our careers page for details on how to complete your application. Please monitor your emails during this time.