Software Engineer - Do you want to become a specialist AWS Platform Engineer?
Would you like to join one of the biggest telecoms companies in the UK? Following recent major investment this telecoms powerhouse with over 20 years industry expertise is all set for expansion, come and join them!
Over the past 24 months they have been concentrating on rebuilding their internal systems and following the recent injection of funding, they are now looking to increase development on their core platform and push their business even further forward by shifting more of their products to the Cloud (AWS). To make this happen and to future proof the platform they are looking for a Software engineer to work alongside the team to take open source software components and stitch them together with there in house VOIP solutions to make them all work together. You'll build the 'glue' that binds systems together.. They are also looking to migrate their whole tech stack to AWS and expand their use of the public cloud services.
You will be joining a team of 6 reporting directly into the development manager, in the early days of the role you will be learning their system and understanding the codebase, you'll have tickets selected for you to work on from the backlog by the dev manager, over time as you fit seamlessly into the team you will selecting your own tickets, taking part in pair programming exercises and committing fully tested code for release. A good portion of your time will be spent in their Unix/Linux based operating system, your expectations here will be to create log files, packages, work on the command line and configuring SSH on the Linux servers. As aforementioned, you will have Senior Dev by your side as you familiarise yourself with their systems.
When you are comfortable in the role you will be begin to deploy apps into the public cloud, you'll need to and write puppet manifestos and deploy it on to Amazon Elastic EC2 full training on how to do this will be offered by the dev manager.
As a software engineer you'll:
- Ideally have experience working in one commercial environment. If you don't have this experience, you will be able to compensate with a degree in Computer Science and will have completed a project in OOP languages (Java or C++ or C)
- Understand the benefits of version control, they use GIT but any version control experience will suffice. They are looking to see if you can explain the advantages of using version control and where you may have used it in commercial or non commercial environments.
- Have a basic level of understanding of Bash, Perl, C or Java , and be able to write scripts and can explain the various ways script can be written to improve efficiently be that commercially or in a personal project.
- Must have worked In a Unix/Linux environment - it is essential that you are comfortable with using Linux for software development, and you'll have opinions about topics such as Emacs vs Vim, and tabs vs spaces.
- Ideally you will also have experience with unit testing your own code. If not, you will understand the benefits of unit testing, its advantages and disadvantages.
- Have some knowledge of automated tooling, puppet , chef , ansible, AWS be that from your degree, side projects or commercially they are looking for someone who is interested in using these and can say why they are important.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a leader within the Telecoms Industry -From day one you will be supported every step of the way to become a key member of the team. You'll be supported by Senior Devs and Dev Managers who joined themselves as Juniors, working their way up the internal ladder. Career progression and opportunities to expand your technical armoury is something that is part of the culture here and that's probably why developers who join always feel challenged and rewarded and ultimately enjoy life here.
The environment is 'work hard, play hard' with regular social events throughout the calendar year. With beers in the office on Friday afternoons, they understand the importance of a healthy work/life balance and are prepared to offer flexible working hours.
Do you want to make a significant contribution within a booming industry that is only going to get bigger?
Start your future by applying now!
Talent Point is a Hiring Communications business, working as sole hiring partners with our customer. We've ripped up the rules and torn apart this Software Developer job spec to give you total clarity and visibility, painting a vivid picture (approved twice, both at Line and C-level) of the way this company lives, breathes and behaves, and how your Software Developer role will look over years not months. We present only three applicants for every vacancy so, where we do represent you, you have a very high chance of securing a role with pre-booked interview times to plan around, in-depth vacancy details and no delays. Are you ready to seriously invest in your progression? Let's design your future.
Talent Point is an equal opportunities employer and no terminology in this advert is designed to discriminate on grounds of gender, race, colour, religion, creed, disability, age, sex or sexual orientation or any other class protected by applicable law.