Senior Estates Surveyor - Kingston upon Thames
£43,638 to £48,395 per annum for 36 hours per week based at County Hall, Kingston upon Thames. This position is based inside one of our main area offices, click HERE to see a 360 degree view of the building and surrounding area along with a view of the reception.
Flexible working supported and encouraged where possible, laptop and mobile supplied. Initial 24 days annual leave, local government salary-related pension offered as well as the option to join the car lease scheme and have discounted child care vouchers. For more information on the many other benefits available to our staff, please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Property Orbis Partnership, where this key role will be focused on generating income opportunities for the authority. Property Services is part of the Orbis partnership, which encompasses Surrey County Council, East Sussex County Council and Brighton & Hove City Council. The purpose of this partnership is to deliver greater value for our councils, residents and customers by increasing efficiencies and exploiting the benefits of sharing people, resources and technology.
As an experienced Senior Estates Surveyor you will be responsible for the management of or more of the Council’s leased portfolios, with a focus on generating income streams and seeking out new opportunities increase income from property and taking forward the asset management of the surplus portfolios. The post holder will also provide strategic direction on one or more of the Council’s leased-in portfolios, with a view to reducing costs to the authority.
You will also be required to;
- Actively manage the existing portfolio to maximise the value and drive income.
- Develop strategies and asset management plans for individual properties and estates.
- Identify refurbishment and potential development opportunities.
- Negotiate and manage lettings, lease renewals, rent reviews, deal with voids, dilapidations, rating issues and other tenancy related matters.You will be a self motivated and committed individual who will be able to work within a small team and take the initiative.
- Knowledge and experience required:
- You will be required to have extensive knowledge and experience in dealing with Landlord & Tenant matters and be able to manage individual projects and work as part of a team. You will need to have understanding of budget management and cost control and be able to provide pragmatic solutions. The post holder will be required to line manage a member of staff.
- Ability to undertake negotiations and bring transactions to a satisfactory conclusion.
- The post holder will be expected to demonstrate a high level of initiative and strategic thinking coupled with a sound knowledge and experience in finding practical solutions to issues.
- RICS qualification or evidence of substantial equivalent experience.
- Commercial property experience.“As Chief Property Officer of Orbis, I represent a trusted property partnership between Surrey County Council, East Sussex County Council and Brighton & Hove City Council. Orbis was formed in 2015 to ensure that we deliver value to customers and residents through our expertise, innovation and passion. Therefore, if you are a Property professional with a drive for change and a need for challenge, this is an exciting time to join us.Please note that the entire application vacancy for this particular vacancy should take no more than 10 minutes to complete if you have your CV and personal statement ready for uploading.
- We have responsibility for developing, building, running, and maintaining an extensive and diverse portfolio of investment, operational and non-operational property including office buildings, fire stations, land and schools, making sure our assets are working hard for us and providing fit-for-purpose premises for staff and customers. You will join a team of hard working professionals focussed on maintaining excellent levels of customer care and an organisation which you will be proud to work for.”
- A message from John Stebbings, Chief Property Officer
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 29th April 2018.
Equal Opportunity, Values and Behaviours
Orbis and Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under-represented groups.
We asked everyone across Orbis what words, values and behaviours they think will be crucial to Orbis' success. We then took these and shaped them into a set of statements that epitomise what everyone working within Orbis should strive towards. We call this 'being EPIC':
- Being seen as having Expertise
- Having Passion in what we do
- Being curious to deliver Innovation
- Having the Customer at the heart of everything that we do
- The Orbis behaviours are what people experience when they interact. They encompass how we do our work and how we treat other.
- Make things happen - Taking ownership and accountability to deliver results
- Challenge the status quo - Always looking for opportunities to further improve
- Be customer centred - Delivering excellent services to our customers and residents, based on strong insight and relationships
- Achieve more together - Working with others to achieve more than could have been achieved alone
- Role model our Public Service values - Always behaving in a way that is consistent with the values unique to the Public Sector
- Lead by example - Consistently role modelling the Orbis behaviours
- Empower- leading in a way that enables others to take action and develop themselves
- Inspire and involve - Setting a clear direction and involving others in the achievement of it