We have an opportunity for a hands-on Facilities Manager to ensure our building and facilities work is delivered to an exceptional standard. You'll be working four days a week, including occasional weekends.
What it's like to work here
The Lizard & Penrose is principally a countryside property featuring dramatic coastline, woodlands and farmland, busy and beautiful beaches, unique wildlife and a host of buildings from cliff top cottages to historic mansions.
A dedicated team of staff and volunteers look after the special places in our care. With 1800 hectares of land including National Nature reserves and Sites of Special Scientific Interest and 30 residential cottages, 15 holiday cottages, a campsite, a bunkhouse, public toilets, cafes and busy car parks and over 50 other buildings in our care, we’re a busy place to work, with lots going on.
The Lizard and Penrose team holds a strong emphasis on partnership working. With the help of a dedicated team of volunteers, we work together with other organisations, local communities and farm tenants to help look after the special places in our care. We are committed to the Trust’s vision of looking after what we have got really well, of restoring a healthy beautiful natural environment and inspiring people with great experiences so that we grow ever more support.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be responsible for managing our in-hand buildings and facilities around the Lizard and Penrose to a high standard of presentation and with great conservation. You’ll be leading work to ensure our security, fire, environmental and health and safety compliance is first rate and you’ll be making sure we plan well for emergencies.
For us, facilities is not a back office function, so you’ll be out and about managing our properties and looking after a small team as well as keeping on top of our systems. As part of the property management team you’ll report into the General Manager, and be accountable for the running of all aspects of facilities management across our properties, making sure we are safe and compliant.
You’ll be supporting and delivering reactive, preventative, and planned maintenance on a number of defined areas of work across all our buildings, working closely with our building surveyor, estate manager and property teams and consultancy advisers. You’ll regularly manage contractors as well as staff and will look to develop volunteering opportunities in your area of work.
The role also takes a lead in our efforts to reduce our environmental footprint, so by monitoring and analysing our energy use you’ll help deliver a reduction in energy consumption.
With our focus on safety and compliance “risk” is key and we’ll want to know about your detailed experience in this area.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you'll need to have/be;
- Facilities/Premises Manager experience
- A good understanding of fire and security procedure, health and safety, buildings maintenance, contractor management and services provision
- A strong track record in process and procedure and you’ll love working with data
- Demonstrable high standards of presentation
- Great people skills, including managing a team, working with colleagues, visitors and volunteers
- Good understanding of conservation and managing our environmental footprint, including working with consultants and contractors to effect changes where necessary
- Passionate about the work of the National Trust
- A flair for detail, plenty of common sense and strong organisational skills
- Some project management experience
- A full UK driving licence
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking