Lead Project Engineer
Job ID: 290674
Job Family: Project Management
Organisation: Power Generation Services
Mode of Employment: Full time only
We are currently recruiting for a Lead Project Engineer to be based from the Manchester office.
Reporting to the Head of Projects, the Project Leader will have entrepreneurial responsibility for the technical and commercial success of projects during their erection and commissioning phases on site. This relates in particular to:
- Responsibility for leadership duties at a work site and all associated tasks.
- Ensuring proper execution of field assembly and commissioning services (in terms of technical, economic and quality concerns) to fulfil the business' project execution obligations in a professional and safe manner, on time & to budget.
- Applying Project Management competencies to support the obligations of the project execution group between periods of site activity.
What are my responsibilities?
This role incorporates the PL & StM elements of the role profiles according to PM@Siemens
- Involves the customer in decision-making and provides regular information
- Properly manages customer expectations.
- Creates additional business opportunities out of the ongoing projects including identification of cross-Division business opportunities
Health and Safety Management
- Ensures that EHS best practice is implemented on all work sites
- Actively promotes the Siemens Zero Harm initiative
- Ensures that the projects fulfil any obligations with respect to CDM Regulations
- Performs a business assurance role in respect of EHS and works closely with the Health and Safety manager to ensure best practice is being followed
Risk, Opportunity, Issue Management
- Identifies and assesses all risk factors utilising appropriate risk measurement tools
- Devises suitable strategies for risk mitigation (elimination, reduction)
- Implement procedure for solving issues and problems (identification, analysis, actions and controlling) with all necessary internal and external partners
- Identifies and minimises non-conformance costs
- Carries out risk monitoring
- Throughout on site activities identifies, assesses, and implements all opportunities for improving results
- Assesses risks in terms of effects on the business, defines measures/action to be taken and ensures early escalation
- Supports the project team in the identification and documenting of claims
- Assesses contracts in terms of claim-relevant significance, & ensures examination by Project Manager
- Puts the strategy for making/mitigating claims rigorously into practice
- At an early stage, informs customer, management and project team of scope deviations
- At an early stage, identifies and mitigates external claims
- Conducts (jointly with PM) negotiations on making/mitigating claims
- Devises (with business coordinators) the strategy for making/mitigating claims
- Enforces legitimate claims and fends off unjustified claims
- Involves qualified subcontractors/partners in a timely manner
- Selects subcontractors/partners according to defined criteria
- Rigorously monitors the performance of the subcontractors/partners, conducts timely escalation (in the event of qualitative shortfalls and problems in cooperation) and, where there are any discrepancies, initiates timely suitable action
- Identifies further opportunities for business with the partner(s)
Procurement and Logistics
- Ensures that all procurement activities comply with the valid processes and regulations
- Manages project obligations within the defined financial targets (budget, target costing, target profit)
- Optimizes project profitability and ensures business success
- Initiates invoicing according to project progress
- Support the project in optimising the project cash flow and assets
Project Planning, Controlling and Closure
- Manages the assigned activities within the defined time and quality framework
- Handles all PM@Siemens-relevant planning elements and milestone work results according to the project category
- Complies with the requirements of the Siemens Project Management Plan with particular emphasis on timely and accurate reporting.
- Works to procedures and requirements concerning quality management (audits, test seals, acceptance checks) according to valid Quality Management regulations and standards
- Monitors continuously the project status, early identification of discrepancies and initiates targeted actions
- Holds regular project status meetings and organizes acceptance of milestone work results
- Manages acceptance of delivered units and services, performing quality controls
- Documents all work results according to the valid document management standards
- Organises customer acceptance tests and final project handover to contract partner(s)
Leadership & Communication
- Ensures efficient communication with all relevant stakeholders
- Ensures targeted and full communication within the site team
- Monitors the motivation of the site team
- Coaches and controls the team/individual members of staff
- Holds feedback sessions with each directly assigned member of staff
- Seeks active feedback (e.g. from members of staff, managers, customers)
- Provides input in the context of PMP (Performance Management Process)
- Consults manager of staff members concerning their individual training and development
- Seeks and actively utilises sources of information, knowledge and experience
- Analyzes information, knowledge and experience, and makes project learning available
- Facilitates and participates in project closure meetings and Lessons Learned Workshops
- Seizes opportunities to learn from others and to exchange experience
- Coaches/Mentors colleagues in relation to site activities, according to requirements
- Seeks and actively utilizes information on current compliance with relevant policies and regulations within Siemens: mainly Business Conduct / Tax regulations / Delegation of employees / Export Control / EHS (environment, health and safety)
- Involves the respective Compliance Officer(s)
- Forwards all relevant information to the project team members and partners
- Sets up a framework to ensure regular checks of the compliance in the project, e.g. by conducting Compliance Risk (Re-) Assessments at the appropriate milestones / Quality Gates
What do I need to qualify for the role?
- A relevant engineering qualification to HND level or equivalent, an APM professional qualification or equivalent, ECITB/CCNSG Safety Passport, IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent, First Aid at Work, BESC card holder
- Working knowledge of instrumentation, DCS systems, electrical switchgear, transformer & generator protection and steam / gas turbines installations in a power generation context.
- Extensive knowledge in applicable engineering activity with varying duties / functions
- Considerable experience of full responsibility for managing work sites in a variety of project e nvironments (customers / partners / scope / countries / etc). Team sized managed: 10 team members
- Has successful experience of working in teams made up of international members
- Experience of successfully site managing E, C&I projects on UK Power Plants
- Proven ability to monitor and control planned costs against budgeted and actual costs and expected to maximise profit margins on projects through close control of costs and through contract variations.
- A good understanding of financial risks and risk management tools is essential as is the ability to influence costs throughout the project.
- IT Knowledge: computer literate with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools particularly Excel, Word and Microsoft Project.
How do I apply?
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability as we will use this data to review your suitability for the role.
Siemens is dedicated to quality, equality, and valuing diversity, and we welcome applications that reflect the diversity of the communities within which we work.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960477899