Early Years Teacher
Westbrook Hay Prep School are looking for a well-qualified, enthusiastic and skilled Early Years Teacher to join our team in Hemel Hempstead.
Job Title: Early Years Teacher
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Salary: £28,045 - £40,398 per annum
- Monday to Friday 8:15am – 4:00pm
- Thursday – Staff meeting 3:45pm – 5:00pm
- After School – Monday to Thursday 4:00pm – 6:00pm Friday – 4:00pm – 5:00pm
Westbrook Hay is a thriving independent Prep school that educates boys and girls from rising 3 -13 years. The school’s beautiful rural location boasts 26 acres of parkland overlooking the Bourne valley. Located just off the A41, between Berkhamsted and Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire, Westbrook Hay has easy access to all major routes.
Early Years Teacher – Responsibilities/Requirements:
- To have a clear understanding of the relevant areas of the National Curriculum and, if relevant the Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Guidance, observing DfE requirements and the aims of Westbrook Hay Prep School;
- To hold weekly team meetings with the Nursery Leader and Early Years Assistants;
- Be fully responsible for a group of children during timetabled teaching periods;
- Produce Short/Medium/Long Term teaching plans in accordance with Westbrook Hay guidelines, ensuring relevant deadlines are met;
- Liaise with relevant Heads of Departments and Class Teachers regarding cross-curricular subject matter;
- Liaise with the SENCO as appropriate;
- Support the Head and Director of Studies in raising and maintaining high standards;
- Organise and lead relevant school trips;
- Attend courses to keep self and staff informed of further developments;
- Order and maintain stores of material for teaching and display purposes;
- Attend all staff meetings and inset days, Evensongs, parents’ evenings, Speech Day, Sports’ Day, Family Funday, Open Mornings and at times attend and help with Westbrook Hay Association functions and marketing events such as Easter Egg Hunt and Teddy Bears Picnic;
- Ensure individual reports are written for each child in accordance with Westbrook Hay reporting guidelines and ensuring relevant deadlines are met;
- To provide teaching cover as required throughout the school.
- Be responsible for the pastoral welfare of the class, ensuring an effective communication link is maintained between parents and staff;
- Be responsible for discipline within the class;
- Be responsible for the class budget and its allocation;
- Be responsible for Assistants working in the classroom.
- A degree of flexibility is required in order to complete the planning and assessment and all other responsibilities pertaining to the role.
- Plus 2-3 additional days per term for the purposes of preparing classrooms
- Plus all inset days (the last Friday before each term starts), parents’ evenings, open mornings, speech day, sports day and WHA events specific to the children in your care.
- Other documentation: professional certificates; medical declaration; overseas declaration; disqualification by association.
Early Years Teacher - Skills/qualifications:
- Qualified teacher
- Secure knowledge of and experience in the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Up to date IT skills including use of MS Office package and experience with interactive white boards
- Evidence of ability to integrate IT into their lessons
Early Years Teacher - Personal Characteristics:
- Positive personality – enthusiastic, dynamic and caring
- Love and passion for teaching children
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to prioritise effectively
- Ability to see task through to completion
- Loyal and supportive colleague
- Ability to teach effectively across the whole ability range
- Possess a sense of humour!
Early Years Teacher - Benefits:
- Holiday allowance.
- Holidays. Statutory holiday to be taken in school holiday only plus bank holidays.
- Afterschool is paid at a rate of £11.38 per hour (non-pensionable)
- Pension: Teacher’s pension scheme
- Expenses: all reasonable costs associated with the role will be reimbursed upon receipt.
To complete your application for this exciting Early Years Teacher opportunities, please click ‘Apply’ now. You will be redirected to our careers page where further instructions on how to complete your application can be found.
Westbrook Hay Prep School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo safeguarding screening appropriate to the post including an Enhanced DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check and references from past employers. Where relevant, staff will also be asked to make a Declaration of Suitability.
References: Appointment will be subject to two satisfactory references; one from immediate previous employer and one other: required to be on file before start date