Assistant Finance Manager - 12 months Maternity cover
The UK`s National Physical Laboratory (NPL) sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application. One of the top three National Measurement Institutes (NMIs) in the world, we now have a regional presence and strategic relationships with Surrey and Strathclyde Universities. Our expertise and original research have benefited UK citizens and the UK economy for over a century.
At NPL we recognise that our success comes from attracting energetic and imaginative people, a reflection of our own values. The self-cultivated atmosphere of support and collaboration is one we are justifiably proud of and at every level, in every area of our business we seek to nurture and respect our people to support each other to grow, succeed and enjoy work. Join us and you’ll soon see how thought leadership and imagination inspire all of us to greater things. It`s about challenging complexity and bringing clarity and building relationships that make a difference. We are bold and visionary; we believe that anything is possible at NPL.
To provide and assist in the provision of financial analysis on current and past performance and, in partnership with the head of relevant department and the Finance community, support the identification and implementation of practical recommendations to improve the financial and strategic performance of the scientific Division in the future.
• Operate as a subject matter expert for Finance advice and, in partnership with the department that the role has been assigned to, articulate their key financial needs and risks of their Department as well as NPL as a whole.
• Constructively challenge the relevant Department and on financial performance, sharing the results of well-understood and well-presented management information in order to support the business meet its objectives. Train key business users to understand the benefits of successful application of key Finance tools.
• Create, implement and communicate the results of financial modelling with relevant Department heads, appraising the performance of certain investment in order to inform and shape key strategic decisions.
• Support the annual budget and periodic forecasts for the relevant department ensuring accuracy. This includes challenging the quality and integrity of the data entered by the business and identifying, measuring and articulating key financial and non-financial risks and how these are mitigated. Lead this process for specific departments.
• Review and identify the need for change to existing Finance processes and develop remedial actions which demonstrate measurable improvements. These will be implemented at the earliest opportunity in order to enhance the wider Finance team’s performance.
• For the relevant department, prepare monthly divisional management accounts including full P&L and balance sheet analysis to ensure financial performance is accurately reflected and deadlines met. Prepare department report including succinct, high quality and relevant commentary against plan and prior periods and estimated level of risk or upside against full year budget/forecast.
• Model commitment to accuracy at all times, self-checking work to minimise review points. Generate, implement and share practical ideas for improving data integrity within the wider Finance team.
• Perform other ad hoc finance activities as requested by management.
We will be reviewing applications prior to the official close date, so we may change the close date if needed.
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant and free parking.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Practitioner.