The Ocado General Merchandise (GM) business is expanding rapidly, growing ranges and launching new specialist websites, enabling us to offer our customers the ultimate one stop shop. We are looking for an individual who will thrive and develop themselves in this fast moving and ever evolving environment. Members of the General Merchandise Team are constantly encouraged to identify and challenge inefficient ways of working and strive to share best practice across the team.
In this role you will be responsible for managing your category as well as providing support to Buying Managers and Buyers with the launches of new products and ranges. The role is likely to focus on the electrial, electrical accessories, lightbulb and Smarthome categories. However, we actively rotote categories over time and therefore you will work across multiple categories during your Ocado career.
The central aims of the Buying team are to ensure Ocado has the right range of products for our customers at competitive retail prices and at the right gross margin (profitability), securing the maximum amount of funding from our suppliers to support the range. In this sense, the most important "Key Customers" for the Junior Buyers are Ocado’s customers.
Roles & Responsibilities include:
- Achieving targets for the category for which you are responsible by selecting the appropriate product ranges, and developing effective promotional campaigns
- Building relationships and engaging with Ocado suppliers in order to secure customer focussed ranges at the best retail and cost prices
- Supporting the Buying Manager and Buyer to find, agree and negotiate ranges and margins with suppliers
- Working with the Own Brand Team to drive growth of Ocado Own Brand where relevant
- Managing the promotional process from initial agreement with suppliers through to the actual promotions being live on the web site for customers to purchase.
- Provision of ad hoc reports for Buyers and Buying Managers (sales reports, promotional analysis etc)
- Negotiating promotional and media supplier funding to achieve targets
- Ad Hoc support to the wider General Merchandise team
- Ad Hoc visits to suppliers and related competitors
- Deputise for the Buyer during absence/holiday/off site periods
- Supporting, developing and acting as day to day contact for the Buying Assistant.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Commercial Acumen: A clear idea of what action to take to boost sales, particularly with regard to poor performing lines (dogs) or poor product areas. Also identifying "winners" (stars) and building on success.
- Blue Sky Thinking: The ability to "think outside the box" in relation to new products, promotional strategies and sales planning.
- Planning & Organising : A proven track record in planning (required to ensure you make timely decisions, hit deadlines for range decisions, range planning, launching new lines/ranges, promotions, banner planning, managing website content and seasonality.
- Analytical Skills : The ability to analyse market data, sales data, promotion data, KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators) and supplier performance.
- Strong communication, negotiation and relationship building skills (supporting Buyers and Buying Managers to negotiate and manage supplier relationships and work internally with Buying, Marketing, Merchandising and Supply Chain teams)
- An excellent head for numbers and a keen eye for detail (handling commercial data as well as important product and administrative information)
- Experience within a buying function or having managed a category previously would be advantageous but is not essential.
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Income Protection
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.