Technical Manager, Charming gift brand
(P/T position would be considered)
Our client is a dynamic and fast-growing, successful gift brand that supplies leading retailers both here in the UK, and across the globe with their inspirational and charming products. They have an impressive customer list featuring all your favourite retailers including Waitrose, John Lewis and Paperchase.
They are currently looking for an industry experienced Technical Manager. You will be managing the team both in the UK and the Far East ensuring all products are compliant and meet all technical regulations.
A typical day in this experienced Technical Manager role will include:
- Managing the technical team in the UK and Far East.
- Ensuring all products are safe and comply with legal regulations of the country in which the products are sold.
- Ensuring all products meet the technical requirements of our company and their customers.
- Understanding the requirements of operating in different countries including the US, both Legally and retailer specific.
- Ensuring all factories and suppliers comply with company audit, systems and manufacturing standards.
- Commissioning and managing audits on behalf of the company, liaising with factories and independent audit companies to conclusion.
- Preparing, aiding and managing new factories through the customers compliance approval process.
- Ensuring all products are tested to Legal and Retailers regulations, and liaising with suppliers, retailers and test houses to find solutions to any non-compliances.
- Be familiar with the Retailers portals and understanding the implications of specific retailer’s requirements, in all aspects such as inspection, testing and supply route to protect our company’s reputation.
- Working with the China technologist to minimize the amount of testing and obtain the most cost-effective route.
- Managing the technical coordinator to ensure technical files and spreadsheets are maintained and updated.
- Undertaking Risk Assessments on applicable Company products (must be qualified to do so)
- Ability to assess the need for, initiate and deal with a product recall.
- Supporting the product development and production team on technical and production matters.
- Making visits to supply base to understand capabilities and aid product development.
- Working directly with the suppliers on all technical issues to ensure product quality, and that they are made to the most cost-effective methods.
- Monitoring the final sign off product and packaging, for warnings etc. to meet Legal and customer specific requirements.
- Final sign off pre-prods, risk assessments, DOCs, Bill of Materials and DOC forms
- Attending meetings and liaise with our Retail Partners on all technical issues.
- Attending relevant customer conferences/events and self-improve with technical safety courses.
- Inputting and maintaining the company sustainability strategy.
The ideal Candidate for Technical Manager will:
- 5+ years’ experience in a similar position.
- Be competent in Microsoft Outlook and Excel.
- Be proficient in undertaking risk assessments on company products
- Have a good understanding of manufacturing processes and Far East sourcing
- Ideally have a science or engineering degree
- Have previous experience working in retail/suppliers to retail
- Be a strong manager and work well with people in their team and across the company and from all other areas of the business
- Needs to be organised to deal with large volume of data and online databases.
- The ability to work well under stress.
- Able to deal with customers and the Far East effectively over the phone and email.
- Able to interface with major retailer technical departments with tact and respect to negotiate fair resolution of tricky product issues.
- Self-starting and well-motivated to succeed.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80666614