Snr Mechanical Design Engineer / NPD
Specialist lift engineering company seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer with new product design experience
Your new company
Specialist lifting engineering company specialising in the supply of Spreader Beams for lifting, lifting Beams, Spreader beams and other lifting equipment, able to offer a complete lift engineering service and solution package distributing services worldwide.
Your new role
As an experienced Senior Design Engineer, of at least five years having specifically managed new product development throughout this time period. You will become part of a driven and passionate, close knit team, within a recognised and global engineering business, based in Poole. Who specialise in the design and manufacture of both off the shelf and custom engineered lifting solutions.
Reporting to the Technical Director and Design Engineering Manager, you will be preparing design briefs and detailed specifications, to facilitate the companies comprehensive new product development programme. Managing the design, research and development of new products from initial concepts through to prototyping, pre-production and final release.
The role demands will be exciting and varied, driven by the demands and requirements of our industry and global customer base. As a result it requires a 'pro-active team player', who is capable of prioritising tasks, communicating effectively and with a meticulous eye for detail.Product specific internal training will be provided, however lifting equipment design experience is preferred and incredibly advantageous.
Regardless of experience, the successful candidate must be willing to embrace the challenge and learn quickly, getting stuck in to own and drive the new product development programme. They are very much 'one team' and as a result the willingness and ability to support colleagues, working closely and professionally with other Departments and Management is absolutely essential.
- Preparing design briefs and detailed specifications
- Managing the design, research and development of new products from initial concepts through to prototyping, pre-production and final release
- Comprehensive competitor product research
- Researching and engaging with our customer base to develop products to meet customer demand, needs and expectations
- Customer visits where required at enquiry stage, presenting business and understanding customer requirements to design and offer best solution including writing pitch document Design and draughting using AutoCAD and Solidworks Software
- Liaising with various stakeholders such as internal colleagues and subcontractors and suppliers
- Producing detailed setout drawings, fabrication drawings and general arrangement (GA) drawings
- Selecting appropriate materials, section sizes, and components
- Visiting subcontractor to assist them when necessary to carry out preproduction assembly / trials, and attend testing of products (on-site testing to be co-coordinated by the Project Management Team)
- Producing full technical files for company products
- Producing literature for User Instructions / marketing materials
- Becoming a technical specialist in relation to our products, with extensive knowledge of lifting law
What you'll need to succeed
Project management experience, taking projects from concept to completion while communicating to various stakeholders.
Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Flexibility to work on a wide range of projects and to work on a number of projects simultaneously.
Meticulous eye to detail.
Desire to research and develop own knowledge and skills, as required by new product development.
Able to motivate others, sharing own knowledge and best practice through effective interpersonal skills Using 3D structural stress analysis and finite element analysis (FEA).
Good communication skills (visual, verbal and written) with the ability to easily convey ideas as well as ability to present to clients, senior management and colleagues at all levels.
Extensive AutoCad Software experience and familiarity.
Solidworks Software experience and familiarity.
DFMEA knowledge and experience.
Supplier selection and assurance familiarity.
Process approach familiarity (ISO Standards).
Chartered Engineer status, membership of a relevant professional institution desirable, not essential.
What you'll get in return
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80697675