Senior Engineering Manager
Main Purpose of the Role
As Senior Engineering Manager you will co-ordinate and manage design delivery and engineering knowledge and advice for our Utilities business unit, as well as providing leadership to all engineers (between 40 - 50) across our Southern Utilities business.
- Establish and promote best practice in health, safety and environmental matters in conjunction with the HSQE department.
- Take a personal interest in identifying, coaching and developing key staff.
- Carry out staff appraisals when required and identify appropriate development activities.
- Coach individual staff members.
- Coordination of Engineering Resource within the Business Unit in terms of understanding the capabilities of the Engineers in the business, their training needs, and coordinating their availability.
- Liaison with the Head of Engineering to ensure balancing of resource across the business as required.
- Provide operational, strategic and contractual advice and service to bid preparation and project management when associated with design management and engineering.
- Summarise quantities relating to design tasks for pricing purposes to support bids.
- Manage delivery of guidance and service support to bid and project meetings to contribute a clear view for delivering design management and engineering.
- Keep management informed of business area activity and progress achieved.
- The day to day management of all engineering activities currently being undertaken including assessment of permanent and temporary works design works requirements and the appointment of suitable resource to satisfactorily complete those works.
- The selection and appointment of all Contractor’s Responsible Engineers (CREs), TWCs, or other positions of responsibility with an engineering focus.
- The review of all Designs to ensure coordination between design disciplines.
- Manage the interface with external or in house design teams on behalf of the Project Manager.
- Represent the design department when necessary at internal and external meetings and, in the absence of the Design Engineer, to be the focal point of contact within the department.
- Liaise with other departments and project teams within the Company with respect to design requirements.
- The final review and acceptance of all AFC documents.
- Responsible for ensuring that all changes in client / company standards are captured reviewed and briefed out to all Engineers and staff who have safety critical involvement.
- Ultimately responsible for all engineering activities both on and off site for the particular project in question.
- Deputising for Engineering Managers from other Region/Division in their absence.
- Carry out other relevant duties as required from time to time.
- Ensure that the work in the department is carried out in accordance with Company procedures and that a high level of professionalism is maintained.
- Ensure that chargeable work is identified and evaluated including the preparation of adequate records of time spent.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Extensive relevant engineering management experience in the civil engineering industry
- Experience in a Utilities business
- Ability and experience of effective people management
- Capable of completing work to deadline
- Ability to use own initiative
- Design experience (desirable)
- Knowledge of project management process gained through successful experience of contract management (desirable)
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960427098