Embedded Systems Engineer (Firmware / Robotics / Software / C / C++)
Job Title: Embedded Systems Engineer
Reporting to: Head of Product Development
Term: Permanent, Full Time
Package: Salary + Performance Related Pay + Options Scheme
Location: London (Wandsworth)
Q-Bot is a high tech, high growth, international start-up, developing robotics and intelligent systems that will revolutionise the built environment. The company is looking to hire a talented Embedded Systems Engineer, to join a rapidly growing, multidisciplinary product development team. The ideal candidate would be comfortable working in close proximity to the silicon, have a degree and work experience in a relevant subject such as Software, Electronics, or Control Systems Engineering. This is a hands-on-role with an emphasis on architecture, design and development, from conceptualisation through to delivery. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the company’s embedded systems perform as required, are usable, reliable and can be scaled.
This is an excellent opportunity to get involved high growth company as it scales, work within a creative and dynamic team, with many opportunities for career progression. To make the most of this exciting opportunity Q-Bot is looking for someone who is ambitious, driven, passionate about robotics/AI, and who will be motivated by seeing their efforts have a real and lasting impact. The successful candidate will be rewarded with an exciting and diverse role, and influence to shape the engineering vision and strategy of the company. Salary will depend on experience and the successful candidate will also be invited to take part in the Employee Share Option Plan (ESOP).
Duties of the job:
- Leading the development of the company’s embedded systems: identify technical requirements, creating specifications, put in place plans, manage projects and report on progress.
- Development of embedded systems for the control of robotic devices including the design of system architecture, electrical circuits for embedded microcontrollers and motor control.
- Writing firmware and embedded code to interface with hardware, sensors, drivers, and microcontrollers.
- Take responsibility for quality control, perform tests, problem diagnosis, and debugging.
- Coach others and ensure good knowledge transfer, both within the team and across the business.
- Visiting customer sites to understand stakeholder requirements and analyse performance in situ.
- A good degree in Control Systems, Instrumentation, Electronics, Embedded Systems or Robotics Engineering.
- Relevant professional work experience.
- Good working knowledge of electrical and control system theory.
- Experience developing low level firmware and drivers for a variety of embedded microcontrollers and microprocessors in C/C++. Experience working with debugging tools.
- Experience with a variety of communications protocols including: UART, I2C, SPI, SSI, CSI, RS-232/422/485, CAN, USB, Ethernet, MMI/RMMI and Wifi.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English).
- Must be eligible to work in the UK without restriction.
- Experience developing high-bandwidth control loops for motors and familiarity with centralised and decentralised motor control architectures.
- Experience with real time and low latency systems.
- Experience with interface and communication protocol development for embedded PCs, using real-time Simulink and associated packages.
- Ability to use conventional system stability assessment tools, such as Bode/Nyquist plots.
- Knowledge of dynamic modelling.
- Experience with ROS and / or robotic systems.
Q-Bot develops intelligent tools using robotics and AI that can inspect, monitor and maintain the health of our buildings.
The initial focus is the application of under floor insulation using a robotic device without the hassle and cost of traditional methods. The solutions developed by Q-Bot have a number of benefits:
- They empower operators, making them more efficient and productive.
- They allow easier, cheaper, safer, and more effective execution of tasks than was previously possible.
- They create buildings that are energy efficient, cheaper to run, and much more comfortable.
The company currently employs around 30 people in offices in London (Wandsworth) and Newcastle. Q-Bot is run by an experienced management team with an entrepreneurial track record, project management expertise and unique blend of robotics and building know how. Half the company’s employees are engineers with a Master of Science or Engineering degrees, have a PhD with a specialisation in robotics, while others are professionals with decades of practical experience in the construction sector and the processes employed there.
Q-Bot is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, or age.
Please note: no recruitment agents, thank you.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960408705