Committee Coordinator Apprentice
South Gloucestershire Council is committed to treating everyone fairly, to challenging inequalities and to promoting equality of opportunity for all. We welcome applications from everyone and value diversity in our workforce.
The Apprentice Committee Coordinator and Directorate Research will act as the lead coordinator for Democratic functions in the CAH Department, coordinating work and projects and ensuring that Heads of Service receive the required support and assistance.
The post-holder will coordinate Democratic Support activities for the department. They will work closely with the Directors PA and Directorate to provide a central point for committee issues across CAH, liaising with senior managers, members and officers along with partners and other outside bodies to ensure that policies and procedures are adhered to and reports are taken correctly through lead member meetings to subsequently be submitted to Cabinet or other Democratic bodies as required.
As part of this role you would develop knowledge and awareness of key issues and stakeholders across a diverse range of service areas.
As an apprentice you will receive supervision and guidance from your workplace supervisor, and will have a workplace mentor to support you. This is a limited term contract for 24 months, where you will undertake a Level 4 in Business Administration that involves block release training with a local provider.
Please note that you will be expected to undertake a basic skills assessment as part of the selection process, which will be sent to you via email. This must be completed by the 27th April 2018.
- To provide research assistance to Heads of Service gathering, analysing and presenting information as directed, which may include project management responsibilities.
- Maintain records and collate information and may also carry out administration tasks as required.
- Dealing with the day to day coordination of committee work, resolving any issues that might arise and communicating with colleagues at all levels to ensure resolution.
- Planning and organising committee paperwork requires working 3 to 4 months prior to committee dates, to ensure delivery of work on time.
- Act as a source of advice and guidance about the Democratic process and identify and implement administrative improvements on an ongoing basis, being responsible for communicating these changes to Heads of Service and other staff.
- To support the PA function for Heads of Service: managing diaries, making appointments, arranging meetings and taking minutes as necessary, including for confidential and/or sensitive meetings.
- Use of initiative to deal with enquiries and prioritise work as appropriate, setting up and maintaining information systems as required by the role.
- Responsible for specific small-scale projects within the department.
- A high degree of confidentiality will be deployed to deal with potentially sensitive work areas and a proactive approach to providing support is key.
- Must hold 3 A' Levels and 3 grade C's at GCSE including English, Maths, or equivalent
- Excellent time management and organisational skills and adherence to deadlines
- Good literacy skills including written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, members, senior management and other parties at all levels
- An aptitude in note taking
- IT knowledge and its practical application, including experience of using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and databases
- A proven ability to manage a process involving multiple participants
- Knowledge and experience about the Council's committee system
"QA's apprenticeship programmes may be funded in part by the European Union through the European Social Fund, which supports the development of employment opportunities and a skilled workforce."
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960415112