Database Administrator (DBA) - Insurance
A global insurer who operate in the Lloyd's of London insurance markets are looking for a Data Base Administrator (DBA) to their growing team
The Database Administrator/Developer is responsible for performing database administration/development to assure the availability, performance, integrity and security of databases of disparate OLTP and Decision Support systems in the UK/Europe. This individual actively contributes to database architecture and system design. Duties include database support, research, design, development and implementation of database technology that enhances the value of our clients solutions.
The initial focus of the role will be to work alongside a third party consultancy to assist in the development of a European Data Warehouse solution and associated ETL (SSIS) scripts used for loading and quality checking the data. Once embedded, the role will evolve into a BAU support role responsible for maintenance/upkeep/development of the Data Warehouse and the ETL scripts but also support and maintenance of all databases attached to the many business critical applications in use in the region.
The candidate is expected to be sufficiently flexible in their skillset to move from development to support as requested given the nature of the role and embryonic status of the Data Warehouse. Experience and a good understanding of Business Intelligence standard practices for database and ETL solution design is a key aspect of this initial assignment.
Key accountabilities of the Database Administrator
- Design, installation, configuration, upgrade and maintenance of the European DW ETL jobs – using SSIS
- Responsible for installation, service delivery and administration of relational database management systems (RDBMS).
- Performs configuration, integration, maintenance, performance management, security management, failure analysis and recovery, and user support of the PROD, UAT, and DEV/INT database environments.
- Provide front-line database administration and support for client facing applications.
- Participates in development, maintains, evaluates and documents administration of systems tools and related strategies.
- Communicate with application owners through formal correspondence.
- Backup/recovery/DR strategy, planning, and execution.
- Capacity planning and prediction.
- Ensure compliance with all technical specifications and uphold architectural standards.
- Responsible for problem escalation to Microsoft Support and third parties as necessary.
- Work closely with customer and project team on database design and construction of customer databases.
- Diagnose and solve complex problems including non-functional problems such as performance issues by identifying workarounds, and driving resolution / "owning" the problem.
- Support Key Performance Indicator (KPI) reporting requirements and monitor Service Level Agreement (SLA) compliance. Report regularly on overall performance levels and identify trends.
- Provide off-hours on-call support.
- Implementing and managing High Availability and Replication technologies.
- Install application upgrades as 2nd Level support for Release Management.
- Occasional travel by car and air to our client's sites and off-site training may be required
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960412829