Powertrain Design Engineer (Engine/Turbo)
To devise, select and engineer systems and components for products which meet all company requirements and to provide expert theoretical and practical detail knowledge of the latest developments in relevant engine / powertrain systems.
* Reports to a Functional Manager who reports to the Engine Head of Department. Normally has no subordinates but can be required to direct Technicians.
* Collaborates closely with other Engineers / Senior Engineers.
* Liaises with all levels in the business up to Senior Manager, particularly within Purchasing, Logistics, Finance and Manufacturing, and with Suppliers / Contract Houses at all levels.
RESPONSIBILITY/TASKS AND CUSTOMERS
* Developing and maintaining technical knowledge/capability.
* Self-education through evaluating competitor vehicles, reading technical literature and maintaining a network of contacts within the industry and educational establishments.
* Finding and justifying attendance at seminars and formal training courses.
* Developing and maintaining sufficient understanding of the mechanical systems/components.
Accountable for defining and planning own work for approval by Functional Manager.
* Develop potential feature definition from very broad Marketing requirement by providing benchmarks from current/forthcoming competitor vehicles and supplier developments.
* Analysing benefits and risks of available technologies in relation to specified functionality, legal, cost, weight and timing requirements.
* Propose appropriate functional and technical specifications together with objective and subjective targets for Targets Book.
* Develop activity timing plan together with cost, quality and validation plans for assigned features, identifying all relevant activities and their customers/suppliers (internal and external) and obtaining their agreement/buy-in.
* Identify detailed parts content for assigned features and negotiate release dates.
Accountable for design and validation of components/systems which, when introduced into production, are safe, legal and otherwise fit for purpose
* Identify and analyse alternative design solutions to satisfy functional, technical, legal and styling specifications, in line with engineering strategies, initially from existing supplier capability, but if necessary through initiating/conducting original design.
* Review existing or develop new document for new/modified systems/features/components. Also responsible for DFMEA requirements, initiating decision recording and subsequent review of existing or generation of new DFMEA documents where necessary.
* Through consultation/agreement with Functional Manager and cross functional design review, select appropriate solution.
* Design and release for prototypes and production the overall system to integrate with whole vehicle system requirements to satisfy the agreed targets.
Accountable for ensuring test programme includes validation and certification of systems/components to demonstrate successful achievement of 3. above
* In conjunction with Functional Manager, Validation Manager and Certification Manager, agree component and system validation and certification requirements to satisfy Group standards and International safety legislation.
* Facilitate the formal sign-off of systems with supplier/contract house and through internal processes, in agreement with Functional Manager and Validation teams.
Accountable for timely parts release for prototypes and production and for timely delivery of all product engineering activities to ensure timely vehicle launch to quality and cost.
* Accountable overall for parts release to Purchase & Manufacturing in line with parts timing targets loaded in the Company Part Level Timing System.
* Manage, monitor and, if necessary, expedite, supplier and/or external design house activities concerned in the design, testing, release and delivery of the prototype parts. (which may also be necessary to support initial production.)
Accountable for timely delivery of new product designs appropriately validated to meet start of production and for reporting progress, together with own recovery actions where necessary, to Functional Manager and at formal Project Reviews.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
* 3 years' experience working in an engine / powertrain design environment.
* Graduate with a relevant final year project and work experience
* Turbocharger design experience with OEM or turbocharger supplier
* Ability to manage complex problems
* Experience and competence in managing key suppliers and development partners
* Experience in managing key supplier meetings/design reviews
PRACTICAL & TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
* Full understanding of exhaust emission & OBDII regulations and fuel specifications worldwide.
* Appropriate Engineering Degree. Or extensive experience in CAD engine systems design using company CAD system (currently ProE & Catia V5).
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80542442