Change & Release Manager
Change & Release Manager
The main purpose of the job:
To be responsible for Change, Release and Support Handover within the Group. This covers all aspects of Service Transition, as defined by ITIL, with managing changes from their initiation, deployment to testing/live environments, transition into support and decommissioning. The main purpose of the role is to ensure the continued stability of the IT systems whilst enabling the business to move forwards with change. A key word is 'co-ordination’ across a variety of technical and non-technical teams.
The role requires a confident and process-driven individual who enjoys paying attention to detail within documentation and is comfortable working in a small to medium size business. This will necessitate a hands-on approach and the picking up tasks outside of the normal 'comfort zone’ and taking on responsibility as required.
The role will enhance, design, rewrite as well as undertake and manage change, release and support handover processes across the business. These processes can then be used to assist in identifying issues and continuous improvement.
Experience in managing change and release management processes in a variety of technologies is desirable, but equally the role requires a pragmatic and balanced approach so as to effectively manage risks along with the need for the business to adapt in a competitive industry.
This is an end-to-end 'Service Transition’ role within the Operations team working with a variety of development and support teams. This requires interpersonal skills on differing levels to work effectively with business users, customer support staff and highly trained technicians.
Main tasks of the job:
• Own and manage the Change Management process for the business area. This may require designing, enhancing and re-writing processes as required.
• Facilitate the full end-to-end process including change planning, impact analysis, chairing of Change Advisory Boards, communication, conflict resolution, post-implementation reviews and ongoing process improvements.
• Own and manage the Release Management process within the business.
• Plan and coordinate deployments to Live and customer testing environments in a controlled manner. Manage the maintenance of these environments on an on-going basis.
• Ensure the release process is followed with appropriate documentation and communication to the relevant people. Develop policies and practices which continue to improve this process.
• Co-ordinate and manage out-of-hours deployments to Live environments as required (which can be during working hours, evenings and weekends).
Support Handover to Operations and Customer Support
• Oversee the process to ensure a smooth handover of development work to Service Delivery and Customer Support Managers in an efficient and timely manner.
Support to the Group Change & Release Manager
• Provide support and cover to the Group Change & Release Manager with activities throughout the wider business.
Incident and Problem Management
• Support the Service Delivery and Customer Support Managers as required in all aspects of Incident and Problem Management. Offer support on incident handling standards and processes.
Reporting and Presentations
• Maintain a Forward Schedule of Change and provide metrics on the effectiveness of the processes being managed.
• Undertake presentations to all areas of the business to reinforce the requirements of the Change and Release processes and the benefits realised.
Essential Qualifications & Training
ITIL v3 Foundation Certificate
ITIL Service Transition Lifecycle Certificate
ITIL Certificate in Release, Control and Validation
• Produces pragmatic process documentation.
• Willing and able to act as a key co-ordinator between various teams.
• Is an effective communicator, able to explain concepts to a range of audiences including non-technical staff.
• Writes concise and effective emails.
• Able to manage conflict and willing to enforce a required process as required.
• Confident in undertaking presentations to a variety of teams.
• Process driven individual with a curious mind.
• Experienced manager of ITIL Change Management through the whole end-to-end process.
• Sound experience in managing complex and frequent software development release lifecycles from waterfall and agile project methodologies.
• Willing to pick up frequent ad-hoc tasks that require leadership and facilitating.
• Performs, often in isolation, a wide variety of complex technical or project activities.
• Takes ownership of identifying issues and leads escalation and driving of mitigation activities.
• High levels of ability to influence others to drive improvements in standards and overall performance.
• Innovates across own department or delivery area and develops creativity and flexibility of approach in others.