Senior Design Engineer
Salary: to £42k doe
Our client is looking for a fully qualified and experienced Senior Design Engineer to join them in Poole.
The successful candidate will have a structural or Civil Engineering Degree (possibly accept someone with HND and masses of experience) who has also developed themselves professionally by gaining Chartered Engineer Status.
You will be required to demonstrate high levels of competence and experience by presenting at interview stage. You will also have a demonstrable portfolio that you will send with your application.
Would suit a candidate that is commercially astute and whom can engage and present to various stakeholders not just someone that is technically adept.
As an experienced Senior Design Engineer, of at least five years, having specifically managed new product development throughout this time period. You will become part of a driven and passionate, close knit team, within a recognised and global engineering business, based in Poole.
Reporting to the Technical Director and Design Engineering Manager, you will be preparing design briefs and detailed specifications, to facilitate the companies comprehensive new product development programme. Managing the design, research and development of new products from initial concepts through to prototyping, pre-production and final release.
The role demands will be exciting and varied, driven by the demands and requirements of our industry and global customer base. As a result it requires a 'pro-active team player', who is capable of prioritising tasks, communicating effectively and with a meticulous eye for detail.
Regardless of experience, the successful candidate must be willing to embrace the challenge and learn quickly, getting stuck in to own and drive the new product development programme. They are very much 'one team' and as a result the willingness and ability to support colleagues, working closely and professionally with other Departments and Management is absolutely essential.
- Preparing design briefs and detailed specifications
- Managing the design, research and development of new products from initial concepts through to prototyping, pre-production and final release
- Comprehensive competitor product research
- Researching and engaging with our customer base to develop products to meet customer demand, needs and expectations
- Customer visits where required at enquiry stage, presenting business and understanding customer requirements to design and offer best solution including writing pitch document
- Liaising with various stakeholders such as internal colleagues and subcontractors and suppliers
- Design and draughting using AutoCAD and Solidworks Software
- Producing detailed setout drawings, fabrication drawings and general arrangement (GA) drawings
- Selecting appropriate materials, section sizes, and components
- Visiting subcontractor to assist them when necessary to carry out preproduction assembly / trials, and attend testing of products (on-site testing to be co-cordinated by the Project Management Team)
- Producing full technical files for company products
- Producing literature for User Instructions / marketing materials
- Project management experience, taking projects from concept to completion while communicating to various stakeholders
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Flexibility to work on a wide range of projects and to work on a number of projects simultaneously
- Meticulous eye to detail
- Desire to research and develop own knowledge and skills, as required by new product development
- Able to motivate others, sharing own knowledge and best practice through effective interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills (visual, verbal and written) with the ability to easily convey ideas as well as ability to present to clients, senior management and colleagues at all levels
- Using 3D structural stress analysis and finite element analysis (FEA)
- Extensive AutoCad Software experience and familiarity
- Solidworks Software experience and familiarity
- DFMEA knowledge and experience
- Supplier selection and assurance familiarity
- Process approach familiarity (ISO Standards)
- Chartered Engineer status, membership of a relevant professional institution desirable, not essential
To apply for the role of Senior Design Engineer, please click APPLY now and send CV.