Senior Software Engineer - Backend
About the Role
At AlphaSights, we search through more than 500 million professionals working in the world today to find the small handful of experts qualified to answer our clients needs. They use these insights to drive amazing progress within their organisations. Our mission is to provide access to dispersed, hidden, and underutilized knowledge.
We’ve made terrific progress working in this new space, but there is still an incredible amount of work to do. We’ve only just scratched the surface on how we can apply technology to this problem.
AlphaSights' Backend Engineers build features across our ecosystem of products and services, both internal and client facing. As a backend engineer you will remove pain-points, optimise workflows, and enhance the intelligence and capabilities of our systems. You'll work closely with a variety of people in the business to arrive at the best solution, immediately see the impact of your work, and get feedback directly from users.
We're looking for people who are interested in building software systems to an incredibly high standard, comfortable working across multiple languages, and learn quickly when new technologies are introduced. We care more about your engineering skill versus your deep knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Build and technically own large areas of our product and service ecosystem
- Diagnose complex issues across various levels of the stack
- Improve the performance of our applications
- Improve developer tooling and processes
- Work in small, nimble teams
- Understand our business context deeply and leverage your engineering knowledge to propose creative solutions to problems
- Contribute to our open source projects
What we're looking for:
- Are able to write code in a high level programming language. We primarily work with Ruby but we also have some Python, Java and Elixir in the stack
- Have proven technical ownership of a specific application, product area, or level of infrastructure
- Lead agile software teams
- Can balance deep work with cross team collaboration
- Enjoy writing code in a variety of languages
- Constantly learn from and mentor other engineers
- See yourself as an entrepreneur as well as an engineer
- Are interested in working in a team applying data science to solve challenging business problems
You might work on:
- Build tools to schedule multi-party communication with heavy constraints
- Automate the detection and mitigation of risk in real-time
- Propose and deliver a new product initiative to production
- Democratize data within the organisation
- Optimising and scaling our overall platform architecture
Who you would work with:
- You would join a dynamic, multinational, and diverse team who enjoy solving interesting problems in a collaborative environment
- We have self-taught engineers as well as graduates from top Computer Science and Engineering schools
- Your co-workers will include motivated recent graduates as well as experienced industry leaders from companies such as Google and Amazon
Don't worry if your experience or background doesn't match all of these areas, we believe a broad spectrum of experience provides great perspective on solving problems in new and innovative ways and we’d love to hear from you.
Find out more at our website.