Paralegal for Essex Legal Services
County Hall, Chelmsford
£22,700 - £26,000 per Annum
Permanent, full time, 37 hours per week
Essex Legal Services (ELS) provide high quality, professional, legal advice across the council and to increasing numbers of external clients. We provide a client facing legal service which proactively embraces change and delights the customer.
The Projects Team at ELS advise on complex and innovative major projects for Essex County Council and other public bodies. We offer interesting and varied work, an opportunity to impact the local government landscape to achieve improved outcomes for residents and advice on new and innovative contracting and sourcing solutions.
In addition, we offer the added benefit of flexible and mobile working arrangements.
The successful applicant will be educated to degree level, ideally with experience of working within a legal environment, an ability to build strong working relationships both with colleagues and clients and a proven track record in delivering excellent customer service.
Working closely with colleagues, you will assist with the delivery of all aspects of routine legal work, including drafting and preparing legal documents for functions across the Council and to external customers.
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
* Interpreting the legal and business impact of changes in law and assessing these on the operations of Essex Legal Services, our partners, stakeholders and client base.
* Understanding and interpreting client needs to provide them with a service they value, which supports them in driving the delivery of productivity and efficiency improvements.
* Responsible for attending client meetings.
* Develop and deliver training packages to other areas of the council relating to appropriate areas of work.
* Contribute to the development of current and future business opportunities, to promote Essex Legal Service's vision to the external market.
* Deliver personal objectives in support of the function's overall business plan.
* Develop good working relationships across the Council, and the private sector to ensure a quality service is provided to the customer.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
* Educated to level 5 (degree) or equivalent, ideally with work experience in a legal environment.
* Experience of working within a legal setting in a public service or private sector environment, providing routine legal advice.
* Ability to demonstrate customer service.
* Works collaboratively with colleagues and the client base, to understand customer needs with a strong focus on delivering positive outcomes.
* Ability to develop working relationships across a large, complex organisation and with internal and external partners/stakeholders and clients to maintain and develop business streams.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees, including:
A local government pension scheme (LGPS), a career average scheme with employee and employer contributions
At least 25 days' annual leave + 8 bank holiday days (rising to 29 days dependent on grade & length of service)
Purchase of additional annual leave (up to agreed limits)
Flexible working arrangements (for most roles but depending upon service requirements)
Discounted shopping through a dedicated Reward Portal (including discounts at major supermarkets)
Training and development and payment of professional fees (approved professions only)
Employee assistance programme provided in-house (wellbeing and counselling provision)
Childcare vouchers, through salary sacrifice
Please note ECC regularly reviews its reward and benefits)
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80409053