The role is to work as a Supervisor within the Recoveries team as part of the wider Property service line in our Glasgow office.
• Reporting to the partner and team manager.
• Manage a personal and team property caseload under supervision.
• Act as a point of contact for clients in relation to Scottish claims arising from insurance related reparation (predominantly property), demonstrating an in-depth level of knowledge and skill.
• To provide a timely, professional and high-quality service to clients in the management of the high volume litigated recoveries cases, in strict adherence to the Service Level agreement(s) entered into with the Insurer clients.
As part of the fee earning aspect of this role, candidates are expected to:
- Handle a varied caseload of litigated work covering the above types of claim with an appropriate level of supervision.
- Be responsible for managing all financial aspects of his/her caseload, including accurate and timely billing, WIP and debt management and accuracy and timeliness of management reporting and information.
- Ensure strict and ongoing adherence to benchmark standards in all work undertaken.
- To hit, maintain and apply a consistent approach to all individual targets of chargeable time, financial performance, realisation rates, settlement rates and average claim spend.
- Instruct experts and external counsel where appropriate.
- Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
- Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
- Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications.
- Handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
- Support marketing and business development activity on behalf of the team e.g. attending marketing events and client training.
As part of the supervisory aspect of this role, candidates are expected to:
- Supervise and manage the handling of cases by junior fee-earners (paralegals and trainee solicitors) with a high level of efficiency and technical expertise.
- Act as a point of referral for technical queries and supervision from fee-earners being supervised.
- Assess liability and quantum and establish a strategy for matters being supervised.
- Ensure that the fee-earners being supervised are effectively managing designated client relationships on a day to day basis and that any client feedback received is captured and acted upon, including the need for escalation to the Client Relationship Partner where necessary.
- Lead by example and continually monitor the financial performance and utilisation of fee-earners being supervised.
- Ensure that any emerging risk or compliance issues that are escalated by fee-earners being supervised are addressed and managed.
- Assume responsibility for fee-earners being supervised in relation to accuracy and timeliness of record keeping, file management and management reporting and information.
- Motivate, encourage and coach fee-earners being supervised to optimise performance to support employee development, progression and engagement.
• Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft LLP protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
• Aim to achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1440 chargeable hours per year.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
• Have an LLB (Hons) and have completed the Diploma in Legal Practice.
• Be highly organised and a confident negotiator and communicator with an outstanding eye for detail.
• Previous experience of civil litigation process is desirable.
• Experience within the field of property recovery litigation/insurance is desirable.
• Have an excellent level of technical expertise in insurance related reparation and commercial litigation generally, with demonstrable experience in managing a large and varied caseload in the sheriff courts, Court of Session and commercial courts.
• Have excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues. Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
• Be experienced in having given advice on insurance policy interpretation would be an advantage. A defender background/experience is preferable but not essential.
• Have an excellent and proven track record of ability to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
• Be proactive with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems.
• Be experienced in working within a pressurised and deadline driven environment with the ability to prioritise work effectively.
• Experience of training or supervising junior fee-earners is desirable.
• Be change oriented, with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Be IT literate, with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office and previous knowledge or experience of a case management system would be an advantage.
• Have a willingness to follow a process driven system, working within set parameters.
• Be team orientated, with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
• Have an ability to adopt a commercial perspective .
• Have entrepreneurial skills and an innovative approach to legal work.
Our specialist property recovery team in Glasgow comprises a Partner, three Solicitors, two Paralegals and four Trainee Solicitors.
We provide expert and practical advice over a range of areas:
• Public Liability / Property Damage claims
• Property subsidence
• Property recovery
• Motor recovery
Property is expanding within general property recoveries (fire, escape of water, impact of vehicles into property etc) and motor recoveries.
The team now seeks a solicitor to work on subrogated recovery claims and supervise up to 3 junior fee-earners. The work is predominantly Pursuer with a significant proportion being Simple Procedure and Ordinary Cause.
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Legal 500 UK, 2017, the firm received top tier ranking for 29 of its practice areas and 60 practice areas in the top two tiers. In addition, Chambers UK, 2017, awarded 99 rankings to our partners and professionals as leading lawyers and 57 rankings in 30 separate practice areas, 36 of these rankings being in Band 1 and 2.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.