TSRE - Trading Infrastructure Performance Engineer
About the Company
Maven is a proprietary trading organisation that was formed in 2011. It employs some of the most talented traders, developers and engineers in the market, executing a diverse range of strategies across global equity and derivatives markets. It is the most active participant in a number of the products it trades, contributing significant liquidity to many European markets. The company’s culture is collaborative, informal and highly rewarding of strong performance. Maven is currently based in London and has recently opened an office in Hong Kong which will become a hub for our trading operations in Asia.
Trading Systems Reliability Engineering
TSRE at Maven is a team of broad-minded technologists with diverse backgrounds who focus on continuously improving the end-to-end resiliency, scalability and supportability of Maven's trading systems. Their work enables Maven's innovative culture and allows our traders to regularly push beyond their trading targets. The team's remit includes management of the firm's trading applications as well as engineering and maintenance of the underlying infrastructure. The team's challenges are driven by Maven's need to stay nimble despite the aggressive growth of all sides of the business. Team members with quick minds and collaborative attitudes will find success in a team which works with all other areas of the firm to tackle the fascinating problems that Maven's business puts in front of us.
A successful candidate will be expected to:
* Oversee latency analysis of Maven's various trading systems with a focus on eliminating performance bottlenecks and improving overall performance.
* Expand instrumentation capabilities for each latency sensitive components of Maven's trading systems and underlying infrastructure.
* Develop strong understanding of exchange APIs and infrastructure and deve lop strategies to ensure optimal performance within the unique constraints of each exchange.
* Enable real-time alerting for conditions when application performance falls below expected norms.
* Maintain awareness of new approaches in technology which can be applied to performance challanges faced by Maven's traders and developers.
* Oversee operational management of Maven's performance R&D lab environment
* Coordinate with developers of latency optimized applications to keep the lab environment up to date with technological improvements.
* Perform validations of application configuration to ensure that applications are setup for optimal perfomance.
* In addition, all members of the TSRE team share first-level support responsibilities for Maven's infrastructure and trading systems. On-call responsibilities rotate through the team throughout the trading day.
* Also, all Maven employees must develop awareness about and comply with all applicable policies, procedures, laws and regulations associated with their role.
An ideal candidate will:
* Be well versed in OS performance optimization for Linux hosts, including kernel tuning, storage and filesystem improvements, etc.
* Have demonstrable experience implementing complex projects from initiation through production handover;
* Have deep expertise in modern bare metal server architecture and tuning OS and application configuration to maximize its performance.
* Have native fluency in both bash and python scripting along with a deep desire to automate everything.
* Have an in depth knowledge of low-latency fabric switching and matrix switching technologies.
* Have deep knowledge of trading systems and exchange matching engines in general, with demonstrable experience optimizing the performance of proprietary trading systems.
* Either be educated to a Masters level in computer engineering or telecommunications or be able to demonstrate equivalent levels of experience;
* Have experience working within a DevOps or SRE environment;
* Have strong written and verbal communication skills and experience collaborating in cross-continental teams; and
* Have a proven history of continuous technical growth throughout their career.
Applications will close on 6th April 2018