Resident Communications Officer - Kingston Upon Thames
£29,020 per annum for 36 hours per week based at County Hall, Penrhyn Road, Kingston-upon-Thames. Click HERE to see a 360 degree view of the building and surrounding area along with a view of the reception.
Flexible working is supported where possible, laptop and mobile supplied. 24 days annual leave, local government salary-related pension offered, discounted child care vouchers as well as the option to join the car lease scheme. For more information, please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
This post has been designated as a politically restricted post in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
About the Role
Looking for an exciting new opportunity in communications and marketing?
Join our dedicated and award winning team of communications professionals who are constantly delivering new and creative ways of talking to our residents and staff.
Working within the resident communications team this role will support a range of services such as public health, community safety, children’s services, highways and transport and countryside. You will help develop and deliver high profile integrated campaigns that are likely to include a mix of advertising, PR, direct marketing and creating materials.
The work is targeted at a range of audiences and in some cases will involve informing them about services, while other campaigns will aim to achieve tangible behaviour change. You will also need to find engaging ways to have conversations with our residents, including through social media.
This is a hands on job with a critical responsibility for ensuring deadlines are met. You’ll be proactive, dynamic and energetic, a creative thinker who is able to identify opportunities to build on and add value to your work.
Willingness to developing an understanding of Surrey and its communities will be key, as will an interest in local government and the pressures currently faced by local authorities.
To be shortlisted for this position, your application will clearly evidence the following:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Substantial experience working in a communications role
- Experience of working on multi-discipline campaigns with demonstrable results
- Knowledge and experience of using digital channels and applications including web, social media, mobile communications
- Understanding of wider marketing communications channels and tools and their application
Please refer to the full job description attached at the bottom of this advert.
We look forward to receiving your application.
The vacancy closes at 23:59 on 15 March 2018.
Interview dates to be confirmed.
Equal Opportunity, Values and Behaviours
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.
The values below will be crucial in delivering our corporate strategy, and are what we draw on to make a difference for Surrey residents.
- Listen - We actively listen to others and expect to be listened to.
- Responsibility - We take responsibility in all that we do at work.
- Trust - We work to inspire trust and we trust in others.
- Respect - We are supportive and inclusive and committed to learning from others.
Our behaviours are what people experience when they interact. They encompass how we do our work and how we treat other.
- Be customer focused - We put the customer at the heart of our work and take responsibility to uphold the customer promise in all that we do.
- Work as one team - We collaborate with and involve our partners, customers and colleagues, and build strong and lasting relationships based on listening, trust and mutual respect.
- Make things happen - We plan and deliver our work on time and effectively, making sure we understand the needs and priorities and considering all our options and risks.
- Communicate with purpose - We communicate clearly to all our stakeholders, making sure that we listen, understand and inform in the process.
- Be the best we can be - We embrace the need for change and innovation, taking responsibility to improve our services and processes in the right way.
- Develop ourselves and others - We learn continually, we seek feedback about our own performance and support others to learn.