Morson International are currently recruiting for a New Product Introduction Engineer on a permanent basis in Somerset.
As the NPI Engineer, you will work within a multi-functional engineering and operations team and will manage and influence product and process design to ensure that manufacturability, repeatability, process control, and cost are considered at every stage of the design life cycle.
You will be involved in the entire product development lifecycle from initial bid, concept design, detailed design and transfer to manufacture. This is a senior role within the Manufacturing Engineering department and will involve mentoring junior members of the team.
The responsibilities will include:
- Defining, managing, and setting up the entire supply chain from a high level set of design requirements
- Ensuring that product manufacturability and cost is considered throughout the design lifecycle and that opportunities to reduce product and project cost are identified, reported, and realised wherever possible
- Peer reviewing and approving engineering drawings to ensure that items are fit for purpose and manufacture whilst meeting unit production cost targets
- Arranging, leading, and reporting progress of the build of prototype and pre-production products
- Performing process capability trials, where needed, and reporting of results back into the design teams
- Leading product DFM/A (design for manufacture/assembly) reviews
- Leading product and process FMEA (failure modes effects analysis) reviews
- Actively managing and driving design change to improve manufacturability
- Mentoring junior members of the team and other engineering disciplines in DFM/A and lean manufacturing techniques to drive progress and instil industry best practice
- Defining product cost targets from initial bid submission
- Managing, monitoring, and reporting of product cost via a design to cost methodology, including the identification of main cost drivers and cost reduction opportunities
- Liaising with designers, researchers, engineering and industry consultants to ensure that latest industry and equipment advances are identified to provide new and innovative solutions for current and future products
- Defining and implementing manufacturing and process controls in a production environment to ensure that high level design requirements are achieved
- Driving the assembly and proving of initial development and pre-production units to ensure that design and manufacturing lessons learnt are gathered and built into the final product solution
- Designing the layout of the manufacturing facility including the identification of new capital equipment and tooling requirements
We are looking for previous New Product Introduction experience within a low to medium volume, light mechanical / electro-mechanical production environment. You will have the ability to review and critique engineering drawings and design, from both a mechanical and electrical perspective. In addition to this you will have experience with the use of continuous improvement techniques and implementation of lean manufacturing.
You will also have experience of manufacturing systems, including routings, BOM's, Concessions, Change Requests etc along with broad process knowledge including machining, assembly and test.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960310724