Senior Broadcast Systems Engineer - Playout / Morpheus
Our client is a leading broadcast services provider with an urgent vacancy for a Senior Broadcast Systems Engineer with previous experience at companies such as BBC, Red Bee Media, ITV etc. Experience with SAM automation and playout systems (Omnibus, Morpheus or ICE) is very advantageous.
Principal Engineers are responsible for the technical infrastructure used to provide Playout and Media Management services, this includes some 3rd line technical support, technical design and project implementation. They are experts in a number of key broadcast technologies and each has ownership of the technical environment of one or more live operational areas, as assigned by the Technical Manager. The Principal Engineer should be knowledgeable of all known issues, planned work and proposed changes in their operational area, safeguarding the live operation by thoroughly reviewing planned work to ensure successful implementation and acceptance into the support operation.
The role is one of the key customer facing roles within the department and therefore the Principal Engineer must not only possess excellent technical skills, but must also have strong customer facing and communication skills.
Reporting Lines and Key Relationships
Principal Engineers report to the relevant Technology Manager. Principal Engineers should assist the Operational support staff, promoting good working relationships and practices within the team. They should also form good relationships with clients, stakeholders, suppliers and projects teams as it will be necessary to ensure good communications in relation to ongoing problems and project transition into support.
Job Responsibilities and Tasks
- Act as a point of escalation for 1st and 2nd line teams.
- Investigate escalated issues, focussing on root cause analysis and long term stability.
- Liaise with 3rd party support providers where necessary.
- Record details of the investigation and resolution in the incident management tool.
- Ensure that any ongoing issues are communicated to the wider support team and where there is (or potentially is) major business impact, escalate to the Management and Duty Managers to ensure wider business communication.
- Outside of business hours, Principal Engineers will be assigned On-Call responsibilities by the Technical Manager.
- Identify recurring problems and track trends through observation of the live environment, discussions with technical and operational staff and analysis of incident data.
- Where necessary identify a temporary workaround until a full fix is established and ensure it is communicated to operational teams.
- Manage problems through to resolution, liaising with 3rd party support providers or other experts, as required.
- Ensure all data relevant to the problem, including incidents, analysis and resolution is recorded in the problem management tool.
- Report progress on open problems to stakeholders, reviewing resolution timescales and escalating to Technical Manager where progress is being blocked.
- Have a thorough understanding of the assigned technical platforms and systems.
- Maintain a roadmap of problem fixes, future developments and refresh plans for assigned technologies.
- Provide training, guidance and consultation to other technical staff, eg on incident investigation, configuration changes or fixes.
- Ensure technologies are supportable with good monitoring tools and clear documentation.
- Contribute to design of new systems within area of expertise.
- Complete project implementation tasks as assigned by Technical Manager.
- Project manage small technical projects, eg hardware refresh of existing systems or system enhancements.
- Review and approve changes which affect systems or areas of responsibility.
- Ensure any changes to live systems are carried out as per the change management process, this includes project work and problem fixes.
Operational Area responsibilities
- Maintain a good working knowledge of systems which are used within operational area of responsibility (eg Playout Suite).
- Be aware of all technical issues affecting area/client services (eg ongoing incidents, open problems, projects etc.), be the point of escalation for service impacting issues.
- Maintain a good working relationship with client and operational manager for area, regularly review technical issues with internal stakeholders and provide feedback to client as required, this may include attending some client meetings.
- Review the 3rd party support contracts for the technology for which they are responsible, ensuring value for the business.
- Conduct routine supplier reviews to ensure that required standards are being met (eg level of detail supplied to progress an issue, supplier feedback etc) and that root cause analysis is carried through to a successful conclusion.
- Development roadmaps of systems should be published and discussed with manager, stakeholders and the wider support team
- Provide a single point of contact for their suppliers
Experience and Knowledge
A range of the following experience and knowledge areas is required:
- Experience of a large, structured, broadcast environment.
- The ability to use and update formalised knowledge management systems.
- Well developed leadership skills with the ability to organise and prioritise work and to motivate others to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise effectively with different levels and audiences.
- Communication and IT systems as they relate to the Broadcast environment.
- Audio / video equipment, editing and production systems.
- UNIX / Linux Operating Systems.
- Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Server, PC hardware and software.
- An understanding of different database technologies.
- A good understanding of networking technologies.
- An understanding of Broadcast operations.
- Experience with SAM automation and playout systems (Morpheus and ICE) very advantageous
- Good understanding of building services in respect of broadcast operations including resilient power and cooling systems.
Skills and Behaviour
- A high level of interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate tactfully and persuasively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team, but also capable of carrying out tasks unsupervised.
- Strong understanding of customer service with the ability to view systems in terms of service provision rather than as discrete technical components.
- Able to inspire confidence in all customers of the Tech Support department, be them internal or external.
- Strong understanding of the need to maintain good records of system configuration and other associated documentation. Able to prepare such documents and champion their use and maintenance within the department.
- Understands and follows defined change management processes.
- Appreciates the unique nature of a live broadcast environment.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960313977