Software Engineer - ETL Technical Lead / Developer
Within this team we facilitate over £50b of payment and collections each year which flow through our financial reporting. We provision customer, policy and transaction data supporting valuation, accounting and business MI.
The team lead on:
- Bringing together and driving solutions for Finance Systems and Data Warehousing across the UK Businesses.
- Driving platform stability, integrity and security for their customers through robust operational discipline.
- Ensuring that platform change and engagement is simple, fast and cost effective by building world class engineering capability, enabling us to Defy Uncertainty for our customers at pace.
- Ensuring that the platforms remain highly competitive and cost optimised by driving simplification in all aspects, strong partnerships and a culture of innovation and agile working.
- Support Business Units with the implementation of the Aviva Data Strategy, supporting consolidation of data whilst enabling self-service.
- Key systems owned and managed by this area include Oracle eBusiness suite, Banking & Payment systems, Life and GI Data Warehouses as well as modelling systems like Prophet and ALGO.
The Informatica Technical Lead/Senior Developer is an ETL and data warehouse (DW) specialist (primarily in Informatica Power Centre, Web Analyst, Developer, DVO) that designs, develops, maintains ETL and data warehouse solutions in collaboration with our key business customers and stakeholder (Actuarial) on the Life Data & MI Platform. The Technical Lead/Senior Developer is a commercially aware technical expert, who is business facing and who can influence and interpret a high level requirement into a low level technical solution and then develop an ETL solution to meet that requirement efficiently. This role is very customer focussed, and requires a self starter who is can proactively engage and work alongside actuarial teams in a collaborative manner in mature but complex ETL and DW estate.
- Responsible for ETL design and development ensuring ETL processes are coherent, efficient and support the strategy for data architecture within Aviva.
- Able to develop and embedded a strategy around leverage of Informatica Web Analyst and Developer to support incremental business change and self service.
- Act as the ETL technical design expert for new projects (of varying size) and developments, working with actuarial customers to refine requirements and build value adding changes as efficiently as possible (likely from a product backlog).
- Proactively identify improvements required within existing Warehouse solutions and plan redesign work.
- Work with business data experts around complex problems and design and develop efficient solutions.
- Formulate and communicate proposals to leverage advances in ETL technologies, including development of Proof of Concept solutions where appropriate, Work with the Development Manager to plan and implement.
- Tasks manage a small team of developers.
- Skilled in the use of all Informatica tooling, including Power Centre, Web Analyst, Developer, Data Validation Option (DVO) and Metadata Manager.
- Good verbal and written communication skills enabling effective interaction with both IT and Business stakeholders.
- Organised (work management of self and others) and self-motivated.
- Ability to assimilate technical and business information and to help translate these into practical solutions.
- Ability to positively challenge existing and proposed solutions and present designs and ideas in a clear, concise way.
- Excellent understanding of Data Warehouse methodologies.
- Familiarity with software solution development lifecycles.
- Some commercial awareness of financial services industry and processes – Actuarial being a strong advantage.
This vacancy has a closing date of: 30th March 2018.
Salary: £35,000 - £45,000 dependent on skills & experience.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Luke Goffin in the Resourcing team.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960313344