Innovation Lead Agriculture Engineering
Innovate UK is the UKs innovation agency. Innovate UK works with people, companies and partner organisations to find and drive the science and technology innovations that will grow the UK economy - delivering productivity, new jobs and exports. Our aim at Innovate UK is to keep the UK globally competitive in the race for future prosperity.
Innovate UK fund, support and connect innovative businesses to accelerate sustainable economic growth and we are looking for new talent to share our vision, to join us as Innovators.
We currently have a vacancy for a field based Innovation Lead (Agriculture Engineering)
The Innovation Lead in Agriculture Engineering will be an important member of the Agriculture and Food Team (currently a team of 6) who are part of the Health and Life Sciences Sector within Innovate UK. The post holder play a vital role in the delivery of the Agriculture and Food programme, building on the previously delivered Sustainable Agriculture and Food innovation platform and the UK Government Agri-Tech strategy.
The purpose of the role, within the AgriFood team, is to help manage and influence Innovate UK's work in the Agriculture and Food sector with specific emphasis on engineering and the enhancement of agricultural productivity. As life expectancy increases and the population rises, the demands across the entire AgriFood supply chain increase, so forcing it to adopt new technologies to improve efficiency and sustainability. Government is investing heavily in the research base for Agriculture and Food through BBSRC, EPSRC and other Research Councils. It is anticipated that this work will develop significantly with the recent launch of the Industrial Strategy White paper and the recognition of the need to Transform Sustainable Food Production.
A significant component of this role is to ensure that this investment in science is translated through to business benefit in areas such, crop production and livestock husbandry - areas in which agricultural engineering will play a significant role. Within the wider remit of the AgriFood team, these priorities must also recognise the pull from beyond the farm gate in areas such as food processing and manufacture and the enhancement of food quality.
- A degree/post-graduate qualification (or equivalent experience) in a relevant scientific or technical subject is desirable - this would ideally be closely related to primary agricultural production with particular emphasis on agricultural engineering and related to disciplines such as crop (incl Horticulture) production and management, livestock husbandry (including aquaculture), and or primary food processing.
- Strong relevant business and commercial experience is essential - this could be from a broader background in similar sectors or in farm business management or consultancy
- Specific experience in one or more aspects of the agricultural sector, particularly in the context of engineering.
- Broad technical literacy and inquisitiveness in crop and or livestock production
- Strong business experience in a decision making capacity
- A clear track-record in taking new products and/or services to market
- Demonstrable experience of development and implementation of innovation strategy and processes
- Demonstrable experience of working with multiple, diverse stakeholders, in a complex environment and to a senior level
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities include:
- Play a significant role as an internal point of contact and source of specialist knowledge on all matters related to primary agricultural production with particular reference to engineering disciplines
- Assisting with the design, planning and implementation Innovate UK's Health and Life Science Strategy with particular reference to Improving Agricultural Productivity
- Ensure any input to Innovate UK activity in the agricultural sector dovetails with other Innovate UK activity and across the wider AgriFood supply chain
- Ensuring close communication with a portfolio of principle stakeholders in the Agriculture and related industry sector
- Liaising and preparing materials with colleagues, the communications team and the Knowledge Transfer Networks to ensure effective wider communication of our Delivery Plan as it pertains to agricultural productivity
- Monitoring market, technical and regulatory developments to help inform the team of key challenges and commercial opportunities
- Working with other Innovation Leads, funding partners and industry groups to maximise impact across the AgriFood supply chain
- Engaging with internal stakeholders as necessary (particularly the competitions, communication and finance teams) to ensure coordinated programme delivery
- Working with peers across all Innovate UK programmes to maximise benefits to the AgriFood sector and the broader UK economy.
For more information on this role and to apply, please visit our careers portal by clicking the 'apply now' button.
Closing date for applications is 23:59 midday on Thursday 22nd February 2018.
ARC is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.