Data & BI Engineer
Data & BI Engineer
London E1 6FQ
Salary: Competitive Salary & Benefits
Our client is a primary research firm that connects investors and businesses to critical intelligence. They work with private equity firms, hedge funds, management consultants and corporations. What they share is a desire to access the most authoritative information from respected sources, and this is where our client comes in.
With seven offices across three continents, their team of research professionals is at home in markets in which their clients operate. Their understanding of sectors, geographies and investment strategies is matched by their ability to track down the best sources and ask the right questions. Our client has a continuous programme of software development projects enabling its business processes.
They are a fast-growing company and are listed in both The Sunday Times Fast Track list of fastest growing UK companies, and the International Track list of fastest growing International companies. They have also been included in the Great Place to Work awards for the 5th year in a row in 2018.
The Role - What you will need to do
At the heart of the business lies a complex network of business software and internally developed systems enabling their people to work. Accurate data analytics and the technology to support them are needed not only to improve business operations, but also in working with the Board, and investors to assess their current performance and decide on their future direction.
The Data & BI Engineer will become part of the team that maintains and develops the existing technology supporting data analytics and business intelligence, warehousing, ETL, and data visualisation. They currently hand code reporting solutions through a combination of custom written SQL, data extracts, PHP, and Excel. You will be responsible for continuing and improving the quality of existing solutions, while at the same time architecting and implementing a new Business Intelligence solution that meets the needs of a highly successful fast-growing international business, with demanding users who are data-driven, want deeper insights, clearer visualisations and more self-service capabilities.
You will have to work closely with other areas of the organisation such as Product Management, Finance and Sales, to ensure users are getting outstanding service from their technology tools, and to put together the right solutions when problems arise. You will also need to work with small multifunctional “matrix managed” teams from across business units where solutions involve cross-departmental co-operation.
The Role - Primary Responsibilities
- Mentor junior members of the global technology teams in the production of standardised reports, including teaching them basic SQL skills and use of any new BI platforms installed.
- Work with the Head of Technology Solutions to implement and support a reporting production process to ensure timely and accurate production of regular standard reports, as well as a governance process around ad hoc reporting requests.
- Interpret and understand business rules and financial formulae and translate them into performant SQL code for the purposes of reporting or for inclusion in our internal software.
- Work with data visualisation tools to provide easy to understand dashboards for both our software and reporting needs.
- Assist the Software Development teams with their SQL coding requirements for the purposes of our own internally developed software.
The Role - What you won’t need to do
Although you will work hand in hand with various Business Units, you will not be primarily responsible for the analytical content of BI reporting or the development of reference data definitions. In addition, you will not be responsible for defining the requirements of reports. That will be handled by members of the Product Management team, or by the Business Unit concerned.
You will also work closely with the Software Development department in maintaining existing “in app” reports and integrating a new reporting solution into our software. You will not be required to write any application code other than optimised SQL queries or stored procedures. In addition, beyond data architecture, query optimisation, and warehouse maintenance, you will not be required to carry out standard DBA tasks. These will be the responsibility of our DevOps Engineer.
Finally, you may not directly line manage all the resources that you manage for the purposes of providing data solutions. For example, you may manage applications support resources or software development resources for the purposes of providing a solution to a Business Intelligence problem, but the resources may be line managed by Product Management or Software Development.
Qualifications & Skills Desired
- Strong analytical capabilities, allowing you to understand complex mathematical and financial concepts and turn them into easy to comprehend reports and visualisations using a variety of technologies.
- Outstanding SQL coding skills.
- Good understanding of the technologies within the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PhP) stack. You must have a significant level of experience working with MySQL.
- The confidence and communications skills to challenge senior executives where you see different ways of interpreting the data.
- Experience in producing Board level analytics reports covering financial reporting, sales data and operational data with responsibility for the accuracy of the data.
- Should be comfortable working with a wide range of data ranging from financial, to sales and operational, and be able to easily understand the context and meaning of the data.
- Excellent MS Excel skillset – PowerBI is desirable.
- Must have experience with the successful implementation of one or more well know Business Intelligence packages such as Tableau, PowerBI, QlikView or others, in medium-sized, high growth organisations. Especially valuable is implementing cloud-based warehousing (eg. Azure PowerBI or Tableau Online.
- In particular, using such tools to build Management Information dashboards with data visualisation for “what-if” scenario analysis.
- Strong track record in Master Data Management (MDM), Data Quality, and building Reference Data warehouses.
- Information Security experience in the context of data management and business intelligence would be an advantage, particularly with regard to database encryption technologies.
- Experience of implementing and improving ETL and Data Integration processes that integrate data from numerous enterprise sources (e.g. Finance / ERP systems, HR systems, Excel worksheets, JSON and XML from Web Services, data extracts from numerous SQL DBs)
- Knowledge of current NoSQL technologies, such as Graph DBs, key value stores, and document stores, and how they could improve our data platform would be useful but not essential. The same applies to big data technologies such as Hadoop.
- Must have worked with software development teams in integrating reporting and analytics dashboards into custom web applications.
- Ability to work with common application-level visualisation libraries such as HiCharts, D3, FusionCharts, would be an added advantage but not essential.
The successful candidate is likely to…
- Show an almost evangelical enthusiasm for technology
- Show leadership, be communicative and work best in a partnering approach to work colleagues
- Show pride in their achievements, honesty about their shortcomings, be always hungry to learn how to do better
- Find working with more experienced people as an opportunity to learn
- Understand that working in a commercial environment sometimes requires compromises in their approach to solving a problem
- See and communicate with business stakeholders as partners with a common goal
- Thrive in a fast-changing environment and be dedicated to continuous improvement
- Show dedication to quality service levels for their stakeholders
- Be comfortable with delivering at pace
How to apply:
For more information about the role or to complete the application process please click the apply button to go to the recruiter’s website.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960304363