Data Science Developer
NATS is the UKs leading air navigation service provider, handling over 2 million flights each year. We provide air traffic control services from two control centres supporting airports all around the UK, as well as a wide range of commercial solutions to over 30 countries internationally.
We are passionate about being an equal opportunities employer, treating all colleagues in a fair and respectful manner. We appreciate and value the diversity of our employees and the inclusive environment we work in. Having employees with a wide range of skills, knowledge, creativity, innovation and energy is important to us, and allows us to be the industry leaders we are.
NATS is currently recruiting for a Developer to join our Analytics department within our Data Science team. The Analytics department is responsible for providing analysis with the aim of improving capacity, safety, operational or business performance.
It’s an exciting role for a Developer at the early stages of their career with a desire to work within a team, enthusiasm to learn, ask and contribute and who ultimately wants to be recognised as the trusted professional in NATS as we evolve our systems to meet future demands. At the same time you’ll gain career enhancing skills and experience
The role will be to support the development of the Business Intelligence data warehouse and other technologies (Big data and cloud technologies).
The team consolidates dispersed multiple data sources into a data warehouse ensuring that it contains good quality and timely data that gives value to the company.
This area is expected to evolve in the near time as big data technologies are introduced to NATS. This role will be an opportunity to be at the forefront of this development.
- Project Management (inc Planning): Contributes to the planning, design, implementation and reporting of (through appropriate means) complex technical tasks under the supervision of the relevant task manager. Identifies conflicts and escalates concerns and issues as appropriate to the relevant task manager, team leader or project manager.
- Delivery: Carrying out under appropriate guidance scientific, technical or data analysis, drawing technical conclusions and contributing to customer deliverables.
- Technical Problem Solving: Helps anticipate and solve routine and non-routine technical problems and suggests appropriate improvements to methods and analysis.
- Process Improvement: Contributes to continuous improvement when necessary suggesting appropriate improvements to processes and activities, considering a variety of innovative and creative solutions.
- Application & Maintenance of Knowledge: Develops and maintains technical and professional expertise and applies this appropriately to tasks.
- Customer Focus: Under guidance of more experienced team members, responds to queries, advises and updates customers, influencing when required
Skills and Experience
- Good honours degree in a numerate / computing subject or equivalent (e.g. other qualifications and relevant work experience).
- A knowledge and appreciation of current and likely future UK ATM operations.
- A working knowledge of C# programming language. Skills in additional languages such as R, Python and/or Java would be a benefit.
- Strong SQL skills and experience with SQL Server Integration Services, or equivalent.
- Ability to produce well documented, high quality technical work, and appreciate when work is of a sufficient standard.
- Good communication and presentation skills to peers and managers.
- Good team working skills with an ability to appreciate different points of view. Is able to support less experienced colleagues
Additional Vacancy Information
In addition to salary of from £29,286.11 DOE, NATS offers a range of excellent benefits which includes 28 days leave plus statutory leave and a top class contributory DC pension scheme.
Closing date for applications: 22nd March 2018.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960300692