Assistant Area Head in Salon Studies - Colchester Institute
JOB TITLE: Assistant Area Head of Salon Studies
REGULATED ACTIVITY: Yes
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of Area in Salon Studies
LINE MANAGEMENT OF OTHER STAFF: Yes
SALARY SCALE: M38-M39
To deputise for the Head of Area as required. To assist the Area Head in the operational management and quality assurance of programmes within the area and to ensure and to promote the quality of teaching and learning on all programmes. To act in a line management capacity for a number of staff within the area. This role will include a reduced teaching load in order to carry out the management duties and this reduction is reviewed annually.
To undertake a teaching role within the area.
To assist with operational responsibility for all courses within the area, which could include Further Education Programmes of Study, Full Cost courses and Apprenticeships/ Higher Apprenticeships.
To assist with managing staff and resources to ensure excellence in teaching, learning and assessment to ensure students make excellent progress and achieve positive destinations.
To take a lead role in promoting the excellence of teaching and learning in the area, including supporting colleagues and disseminating best practice in the area and promoting it across the College including as part of cross College teaching and learning development groups.
- To deputise for the Head of Area when required.
- To provide a lead on the quality of teaching, learning and assessment in the area, ensuring the best practice is developed and consistently applied, undertaking and delivering continuing professional development sessions to teaching staff where required.
- To be a member of the cross College teaching and learning development group, promoting and sharing best practice.
- To assist with preparing staff timetables to ensure effective staff utilisation within the team.
- To liaise with timetabling to ensure issues with registers and rooming are resolved.
- To ensure adequate cover for staff sickness and monitor cover arrangements.
- To provide effective line management for directly reporting staff (and counter signatory staff where appropriate) in the areas of communication, engagement, and resource and performance management – this will include direct actions on and management of staff welfare and wellbeing, discipline, capability, absence, grievance, investigations, and any other employee relations activity as may be required – taking relevant and appropriate advice and seeking developmental support as necessary to carry out these activities.
- To assist with the monitoring of student behaviour, disciplinaries and pastoral support.
- To assist with managing the physical and material resources necessary to support curriculum delivery.
- To liaise with the Head of Area to ensure the effective deployment of staff and non-staff resources.
- To assist the Head of Area with other duties such as:
- Promotion and marketing of programmes
- Curriculum quality including management of student recruitment, and improving retention and achievement.
- Providing support for the development of excellent practice in teaching staff as appropriate.
- Researching and advising on up-to-date teaching methods, modes of delivery and new curriculum initiatives and to deliver staff development sessions on the above for the Area or the College.
- Ensuring continuous improvement of curriculum offer and the implementation of new courses including full cost, and other new income streams.
- Contributing to specialist project teams as necessary within the area and across the College and to disseminate information from such work
12. Undertaking such other duties as may be required by line management.
13. Work to promote and apply the College’s Equality and Diversity Policy and Practices.
14. Work to promote and apply the College’s Safeguarding policy and practices.
This job description is current as the date shown. It may be amended in any way following consultation with the post holder to take account of changes or anticipated changes in the organisation or management of Colchester Institute.