Hours of Work – Full time.
About the Senior Accountant:
You will be experienced in the role of an accounts senior/ supervisor in a small professional accountant’s office. This is a varied role within a small and friendly organisation, which naturally requires a wide ranging skillset and ability to adapt, covering accounts preparation and basic taxation work for clients, which include sole traders, limited companies, groups of companies and high net worth individuals. You will be experienced in preparing accounts for these organisations from incomplete to fully controlled records up to review standard partner level. The ability to help the partner on ad-hoc matters and a good knowledge of HMRC procedures and general taxation matters will be useful, as well as the ability to support the partner on a day to day basis and work with him to develop and maintain internal systems and marketing procedures.
You will be also able to carry out book keeping and VAT return preparation for clients and be able to troubleshoot client book keeping problems and requirements, as well as support, train and mentor junior staff.
You will be able to carry out payroll bureau functions for clients, preparing payroll on a four weekly and monthly pay cycles and be aware of RTI procedures and obligations, being able to advise clients on all matters of PAYE requirements and issues.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required and the ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team and produce results to tight deadlines. You will have good experience with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), SAGE, Xero and Accounts production and Taxation software, preferably Digita.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Senior Accountant:
- To undertake accounts senior functions, preparing year end and management accounts for various client business and companies to a stage for review by the partner.
- To undertake taxation work for various client businesses and companies and personal tax returns.
- To undertake book keeping for client businesses and give advice pertaining to VAT and book keeping matters.
- To undertake payroll services for client businesses and give advice pertaining to payroll, PAYE and RTI obligations.
- To complete ad hoc assignments or projects under the supervision of the partner.
- To support train and mentor junior staff
- To undertake any other reasonable duties that may be required
Skills and Experience required for the Senior Accountant:
- A minimum of 3 years practice background or experience working at a similar level
- Experience in use of software packages including SAGE and Microsoft Office
- Experience of using Digita and Xero software
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Ability to set and prioritise own work load in order to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse range of people
- Ability to prepare accounts to a high standard for a range of clients
- Good communication and team working skills
- Excellent attention to detail and analytical skills
- A flexible attitude to work
Specialist knowledge required for the Senior Accountant:
- Knowledge of a small independent accountancy practice.
- Understanding of book keeping and accounts processes
- Knowledge of a varied range of client industries and sectors
- Knowledge of tax rules in respect of personal and corporate work
- Experience of personal and corporate tax return preparation.
Education/Training required for the Senior Accountant:
- Hold an appropriate professional qualification such as AAT, ACCA etc., time barred part qualified or training for a professional qualification.
If you feel that you meet the above criteria for the Senior Accountant role then please apply now!