Accountancy Officer - Liverpool council
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Senior Accountancy Officer will:
- Assist in the provision of regular cyclical and ad-hoc budgetary control information and advice to budget holders at all levels, ensuring the needs and requirements of budget holders are met under the supervision of the Finance Manager.
- Assist in the maintenance of financial information systems including input and monitoring of budget virements, accountancy journals etc, clearance of suspense accounts, monitoring of holding accounts and establishment of new accounting codes and structures.
- Assist in the annual closure of accounts process ensuring compliance with all current statutory and professional accounting codes and financial reporting requirements.
- Assist in the preparation of financial appraisals and performance projections including financial implications of service proposals under the supervision of the Finance Manager.
- Undertake any other duties that are commensurate with the grade of the post.
- Develop the LSSL’s commitment to equal opportunities and to promote non-discriminatory practices in all aspects of work undertaked
It must be understood that every employee has a responsibility to ensure that their work complies with all statutory requirements with Standing Orders and Financial Regulations of LSSL and to ensure that all work functions are undertaken in accordance with health and safety legislation, codes of practice and LSSL’s safety plan.
- Part Qualified Accountant CCAB (preferably CIPFA); or AAT qualified (or equivalent or suitable qualifying experience.*
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Knowledge of financial software packages, enquiry packages and corporate accounting systems, preferably SAP *
- Experience of working accurately with procedures and deadlines in a financial environment and providing advice on those procedures.*
- Experience of and the ability to prepare budgets and final accounts within a framework of recognised accounting standards
- Experience of providing budgetary control and unit cost information.
- Experience of Local Government finance and ability to adapt to future developments
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing, particularly the ability to communicate complex financial issues to managers with a non finance background.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment representing the finance function and with minimum levels of supervision.
- Ability to manage own workload.
- Ability to contribute to a team working environment *
- Ability to analyse and evaluate data *
- High level of computer literacy, including Microsoft Excel *
- Ability to work accurately to deadlines *
- Ability to react quickly and decisively to changing work priorities.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960184977