Offploy is recruiting for sessional and part-time qualified catering lecturers in the South West that thrive on taking the hardest to reach students and sparking their interest in learning and encouraging them to succeed. We are inviting catering and hospitality lecturers and catering and hospitality trainers that have an empathetic, non-judgemental and creative approach to education to consider offender learning.
Upon release, we expect the formally incarcerated to become functioning members of society and abide by the laws they once broke. This cannot happen without interventions that address the issues that initially set them on a downward spiral of self-destruction and crime. Education is the most effective intervention that helps to increase employment opportunities and thus the greatest likelihood of steering them down a better path.
For prisoners education gives them more than just a fighting chance to find employment, it is an opportunity to build self-worth and confidence and realise that they have options outside of crime.
Offploy have formed a partnership with Milton Keynes College whom provide one of the largest offender learning provisions in the UK. The College has worked successfully with offenders both in custody and the wider community for over 25 years. They have delivered and worked in partnership with a range of prisons and locations, enabling their learners to improve their personal skills and self-belief, whilst developing the skills needed to help them settle in to prison life or resettle on release.
Each year the College works with approximately 5,000 learners from the age of 14 upwards, on a range of learning programmes, to support the progression of self-development and on to a coherent career pathway leading to higher level learning and/or employment. In 2015/16, they worked with approximately 31,000 offender learners across 28 prisons. Their overall success rates were 90% and their overall success rates for Maths and English were 80%. To date, they have placed 139 of their offender learners into sustainable employment.
We are recruiting part time qualified catering lecturers for HMP Winchester.
As a successful catering lecturer, you will have:
- a relevant teaching qualification
- teaching/training or vocational experience in a relevant discipline/subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge
- a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
- experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources.
- experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable)
- a good level of IT literacy and willing to develop further.
So, what are the benefits being a catering lecturer within Offender Learning;
- job satisfaction
- fully equipped classrooms and workshops
- smaller class sizes than in traditional teaching establishments enabling you to actively teach and not just manage the class
- education runs all year and is not split into terms enabling you to take holidays when you would not be authorised to do so in a traditional setting
- a better work and home life balance as portfolios cannot be taken home therefore there is no home-based marking
- competitive hourly rate
Why should you choose to work as a catering lecturer or trainer through Offploy?
100% of our profits are reinvested into our social enterprise which aims to see 250 people with criminal convictions find meaningful, mentored and sustainable employment by July 2019
To see a jobs market blind to convictions for unregulated roles and for employers to offer an inclusive environment that hires on character and skill, allowing a person to provide for themselves and move on from a past mistake.
To reduce crime through supporting employers to create meaningful and mentored employment opportunities for ex-offenders.
In order to be considered for this role as a catering and hospitality lecturer or trainer you must hold a relevant teaching qualification, have access to your own transport, be prepared to apply for an enhanced DBS check and undergo prison security checks.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80384192