Responsible to: Head of Subject
Start date: Easter 2018/ Negotiable
Closing date: Thursday 15th March, 8am.
The Trust reserves the right to interview and appoint a suitable candidate before the closing date.
In choosing successful candidates, the panel will be seeking outstanding classroom teachers with the ability to embrace and deliver the vision of the Compass Schools Trust, with the aim of establishing the Compass School in Southwark as the most sought-after school in the Borough.
Working alongside the Subject Leader, the 2iC will drive improvements in teaching and learning across the department ensuring all pupils achieve their targets. They will have a particular focus on achievement, curriculum development, and the effectiveness of teaching and learning across Key Stage 3. Critical to this will be the establishment of cross phase partnership work with our local primary schools to share practice and ensure effective transition from a teaching and learning perspective.
- Provide strong leadership in the department and directly line manage staff as required
- Lead and develop high quality pedagogy throughout the department.
- Develop high quality assessment for learning practice and ensure this is consistently embedded.
- Contribute to the subject development plan, identifying and prioritising needs within the department.
- Develop new and innovative working practices across the department, using evidence based research where appropriate to support new ideas.
- Deliver INSET within department.
- Mentor NQTs and new teachers to the department as required.
- Build effective working relationships across other departments and phases of education including local primary schools
- Work closely with the Lead Practitioners and Senior Leaders with responsibility for Teaching and Learning in the school.
- Contribute to the quality assurance of teaching and learning across the department.
At Compass School we believe that “everyone in the Compass School Community will confidently reach the destination to which they aspire”. This applies to everyone, including our staff team. Our four values of aspiration, integrity, exploration and resilience are reflected in all areas of the school and our work. We are extremely passionate about ensuring that our students meet the challenging targets that we set for them, and we strive to be outstanding and innovative practitioners ourselves.
Compass School has applied to join the prestigious City of London Family of Schools sponsored by the City of London and are already engaged in partnership work with the trust on a number of levels. The City of London family is not only the top ranking multi-academy trust in the country, but through the City heritage and values, brings opportunities through the Guilds and Livery Companies that serve as an aspirational bridge for our community.
Will you join us in reaching our aspirations? If you share our values, have an entrepreneurial spirit, and are excited by the prospect of making a real contribution to a new and growing school, we want to hear from you.
About Compass School
Compass School Southwark is a four-form entry, mixed, 11-16 free school that opened in September 2013. Founded by a varied and experienced group of Trustees, the school will grow to offer an exceptional education to 600 young people in the heart of Bermondsey by September 2021 when it will move into a new state-of-the-art building on its current site. We are ideally located, just a short walk from Bermondsey Tube Station.
Benefits of working at Compass School
We offer competitive inner London salaries on our own pay scale, and reward great teachers with our performance related pay scheme. All staff receive laptops and an annual entitlement to high quality CPD, along with the opportunity to take flexible days off when needed. We also operate a subsidised health care scheme for those who wish to participate, and other work related benefits such as cycle to work and childcare voucher schemes.
To apply and for further information about the school and the Trust, please go to our website via the button below.
If you have any questions, contact us by an email or 0203 542 6506.
Compass Schools Trust is committed to safeguarding children and all appointments will require an enhanced DBS check.
To view the full job description and person specification please visit our website.