Clements Grey has engaged with key client based in Hampshire who specialise in precision engineering. My client currently has an exciting opportunity for an Engineering Manager on a permanent basis.
Reporting to the Engineering Director you will be responsible for the professional delivery of the engineering and programme responsibilities whilst focussing on product integrity, process transformation, talent development, milestone delivery to requested schedule, budget and quality requirement.
The Engineering Manager will play an important role in assisting the Engineering Director to spearhead strategic planning for all engineering and new product development activities and drive outstanding performance to get the best out of the Engineering team to meet current KPI’s and growth plans. To work closely with his / her counterparts in business development, operations and quality to ensure business targets and compliance requirements are met consistently at highest possible levels.
The successful candidate will have a strong technical engineering background in Electrical, Electronics with experience within an electro / mechanical manufacturing environment with a relevant degree qualification.
You will have been employed as either an Engineering Manager or a Principal Engineer within a Manufacturing business and have previously led a multidisciplinary team.
You must be commercially aware, have good strategic thinking capabilities with experience of new product development lifecycle and project management.
You will be responsible for the management and development of the engineering team. Assist in the development of the technology road map.
Provide support to both the Business Development team and customers.
Main Duties / Responsibilities – Leading the Department
- Provide leadership presence and energy to the engineering and programme management team.
- In conjunction with the Engineering Director, drive technology initiatives and investments.
- Deliver product integrity and maintain through life performance to the specifications.
- Develop the organisation through guidance, training and using the appraisal system to develop the skills within the department to meet the needs of the business.
- Manage the resource profile to satisfy, exceed, business performance and manage as necessary.
- Develop and maintain a multi generation product plan (MGPP)
- Establish budgets for the annual cost of the department and new products and monitor accordingly.
- Establish and drive KPI’s to manage key performance, ensuring agreed business KPI’s.
- Working cohesively with the Engineering Director and the business development team to drive top line growth.
- Evaluate product line extensions, modifications or engineering solutions request from the sales team or external customers.
- Utilise a formal process that gives quantifiable reasons to implement or reject the proposal. Prepares the business proposal for acceptable projects that includes product specification target, cost, selling price and profitability.
- Determine the trends and position of the competitor products in the markets that the company operate.
- Determine with the Engineering Director and business development team the products and services the customers require.
- Assist in the development of a Technology Roadmap for current and future products.
- Bring to market, development product, to present to the customer base.
- Establish technology links with academic institutions and industry.
Development and Introduction of New Products
- Manage the NPI process to meet the cost, quality and delivery requirements of the customer.
- Ensure compliance to the NPI process.
- Ownership of all programmes in NPI phase and transition into production.
- Develop strong teamwork principles for each project and ensure compliance and accountability.
- Develop, own and maintain product definition data, specifications and standards.
- Develop strong technical relationships with the customer base.
- Support the sales team in any project related commercial issue.
- Keep abreast with IP regulatory and QA standards.
Sales and Customer Support
- Support the sales team in any customer request
- Work with the sales team to determine the commercial opportunities worth progressing.
- Provide technical documentation and product costing information for any commercial enquiry.
- Provide customer presentations and Technology Roadmap materials to customers.
Other Responsibilities / Non-Essential Functions
- Undertake training that is identified as a requirement of the role.
- Undertake all other reasonable requests that are made by the Engineering Director or other board level members.
- At times of reduced department staff attendance there will be a need to be flexible and provide support outside of the normal tasks of the job to ensure customer satisfaction.
- On occasion you may be required to take on ad hoc duties which includes, but is not limited to, training, department associated tasks and brief secondment to other departments.
- Undertake regular travel as required by the role including travelling between sites, corporate and customers.
Contact: Jason Salt at Clements Grey
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960296702