Materials Engineer / Metallurgist
RINA are currently offering the opportunity for a talented Materials Engineer to join our Forensic Engineering and Expert Witness (FEW) team based out of our Leatherhead, Surrey office. RINA is global leader in Asset Integrity, Forensic Engineering and Expert Witness Services. As part of the RINA family the Materials Engineer will experience ownership of a broad range of client projects. You will work within a collaborative consultancy team and experience daily opportunities to grow and develop your skills.
The Materials Engineer will support the Forensic Engineering and Expert Witness Service Line undertaking failure investigations and condition assessments of customer assets and equipment, ranging from process plant and infra-structure equipment to aerospace components and consumer products. Investigations cover a broad range of failure mechanisms in both metallic and non-metallic materials. Some UK and International travel will be expected to visit customer sites to view failures “in-situ” and then conduct a detailed analysis of the failed components and associated evidence in our extensive laboratory facilities. Main responsibilities will include:
- Interacting with clients and other parties to obtain details of the scope of the investigation
- Reviewing technical documentation and standards associated with equipment
- Undertaking technical literature reviews where necessary
- Conducting detailed visual and low magnification inspections of as-received parts
- Selecting parts for further examination and testing including preparation of metallographic cross sections, chemical analysis, hardness testing and examination and analysis of parts by SEM-EDX, FTIR etc
- Preparing technical reports detailing investigation and key findings
- Presenting findings at client meetings, potentially leading to providing expert witness evidence
Qualifications & experience
- Educated to degree level in metallurgy, material science or a related degree with metallurgical experience (e.g. mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering)
- Experience in undertaking component failure investigations, including inspection of failures on-site and undertaking microscopic inspection of fracture surfaces and metallographic examinations
- Broad academic experience of a wide range of engineering materials with a practical engineering ability
- Familiarisation with basic MS Office applications (Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Reasonable level of physical fitness to fulfil the site elements of the role
- Full Driving Licence
You will be a motivated self-starter able to manage multiple investigations and changing priorities to meet customer deadlines. You will have an aptitude for problem solving and acute attention to detail. You have strong communication skills, able to communicate technical concepts in both written and verbal form with ease to a broad audience not all of whom will be technical specialists. You have a flexible approach and ‘can-do’ attitude, happy to adapt to changing business needs and at home under pressure. You have excellent planning and organisational skills and meet deadlines without exception.
RINA is a global corporation providing testing, inspection, certification and consulting services across the Energy, Marine, Certification, Transport & Infrastructure and Industry sectors. We have been at the forefront of providing innovative and technical solutions for more than 150 years, working closely with clients as a trusted partner, assisting them in the most effective, safe and sustainable way. Through a global network of 3,700 talented professionals, operating in 170 offices in 65 countries, we support our clients across the entire life cycle of their projects. Facing new challenges, adapting to new contexts and being where big things happen: working with us means turning our clients’ ideas into success. You will transform challenges into opportunities and brilliant ideas into excellent solutions.
Asset Integrity, Forensic Engineering and Expert Witness Services
Our worldwide reputation stems from an enormous breadth of expertise and vast project experience across multiple industries. Our skills and techniques optimise the performance and life of a wide variety of high value capital assets. We have extensive experience in providing recommendations for extending the safe use of equipment beyond the original retirement date. We ensure the safety, security and reliability of our clients’ assets and infrastructure through the provision of services spanning condition assessment, design consultancy and UKAS-accredited testing services for new product developments, regulatory compliance consultancy and failure investigation.
We offer competitive salaries and pension contributions, you will enjoy a generous leave allowance, private medical care, life insurance and more. Our great financial benefits are only part of the attraction, you can expect an excellent induction, quick integration and real opportunities for professional development.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960290935