Responsible to: Chief Executive
Main Purpose of Job: To manage all aspects of the Finance Department to ensure ISTD has efficient and effective Finance Operations, creating value for members and ensuring compliance with legal requirements, accountancy standards and the requirements of the Charities Act to protect the Charity’s funds and assets from misuse.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Responsible for all aspects of the management of the Finance Team, ensuring staff development and continuous improvement to enable them to work flexibly and co-operatively to deliver a service which meets all standards and deadlines with a strong emphasis on customer focus.
- Prepare draft Management accounts, analysing and highlighting any critical areas or providing any analysis as required by the Executive, and leading on the effective use of Iris Exchequer and OLE reporting within the team
- Lead, manage, develop and review the budgeting and reforecasting for the society, providing templates, guidance and ongoing support for budget holders, and consolidating accounts in accordance with organisational procedures.
- Ensure organisational compliance with all tax requirements and that transactions are correctly recorded and returns to made to HMRC in compliance with regulation, while enabling the Society to benefit from all available reliefs,
- Ensure all income & payments are processed in accordance with delegated powers and are correctly recorded / coded.
- Manage payroll & pension payments, ensuring that all regulations, policies and procedures are consistent with organisational policies and contractual arrangements and as authorised.
- Manage the payroll, ensuring that staff are paid in accordance with their contracts, and making any required deductions or additional payments in line with the organisation’s policies and as authorised, including liaising with pensions providers as necessary
- Manage the investment portfolio as authorised, accounting for any investment income and ensuring System is updated as required and retaining investment valuations for review by management and auditors.
- Manage the audit process internally, making all necessary preparations, working with the Society’s auditors and resolving queries, and assist in the preparation of the final accounts and notes in compliance with SORP
- Must be qualified to degree level and possess ACCA (or equivalent) with at least 2 years’ experience of working effectively in a senior financial position in a similar environment,leading a finance team to meet an organisation’s requirements
- Experience of working effectively within a commercial and customer focussed environment, with an awareness of financial and operational risk and excellent business awareness
- Demonstrates a good understanding of PAYE with direct experience of preparing and managing weekly/monthly payroll and year end in accordance with organisational policies and legislative/tax requirements
- Demonstrates a good understanding of VAT with direct experience of making timely returns in accordance with government guidelines and practices
- Effective staff manager, ensuring that skills and abilities are used to their best effect and that staff are managed and developed in order to meet the organisation’s needs for an effective, efficient and flexible workforce
- Good technical accounting and analytical skills, including the use of recognised accounting packages, producing management accounts with detailed departmental analysis using appropriate IT systems/software for both historical accounts and for financial modelling/forecasting
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to provide instruction, guidance and advice to staff at all levels within the organisation as well as produce effective reports to the Executive Management Team and Trustees as required
- Demonstrable experience of effective time management & prioritisation, ensuring that deadlines are met at all times and problems are identified and resolved at as early a stage as possible
- Awareness of other legislative frameworks which affect organisations, eg health & safety, data protection, equality & diversity, with experience of working effectively within them and promoting them at all times.
- Attitude of personal responsibility and accountability and a flexible and ‘can-do’ attitude towards the workplace
- Ability to prepare accounts in conformity with SORP
PLEASE NOTE: INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE WEEK COMMENCING 11TH NOVEMBER, 2013