Senior Pharmacy Technician
Senior Pharmacy Technician
Gatwick Immigration Removal Centre
£27405 per annum
40 hours a week, Monday to Friday
Do you want an exciting, fast paced diverse place to work? If that is what you are looking for come to Gatwick IRC’s! You will never complain of being bored as no day is the same and every day you will learn something new. Gatwick PDA and Borders is the only facility in the UK which makes us unique. If you are looking for a new job or to further your career apply now before it is too late!
Gatwick IRC’s Gatwick PDA and Borders is over two sites. IRC is an Immigration Removal Centre located on the outskirts of Gatwick Airport. Brook House IRC holds up to 486 men over the age of 18, in shared rooms over 4 wings and Eden Wing. Tinsley House IRC holds up to 162 men over the age of 18, in shared rooms over two floors. Gatwick PDA and Borders is located inside Tinsley but kept separate from the men. Gatwick PDA hold up to two pre planned families. Border families can arrive without pre warning, holds up to one family. Tinsley IRC was recently refurbished in 2016/17 and Gatwick PDA and Borders is immaculate with well-kept outside gardens and play facilities for children.
At Gatwick we provide primary care in a range of clinics, which include but is not limited to Dressings / Venepuncture/ Nurse Triage / Smoking Cessation / Chronic Disease clinics / Sleep Hygiene Techniques. We run drop in clinics every day and also have a booking appointment system. We have doctors attend site each day and on call facilities if needed. We have a visiting psychiatrist once a week, dentist fortnightly and optician monthly. We do not have any inpatient beds, therefore patients who need emergency care will be sent out to hospital or transferred to a centre that has those facilities. The needs of the men range from Physical / Social Care to Mental Health conditions. Gatwick IRC’s also has a dedicated Forward Team (Drug Alcohol Recovery) who mainly work at Brook House and visit Tinsley once a week. We also administer medication up to 4 times a day at both sites; at Brook House only this includes Controlled Drugs (CD’s) and Opiate Substitution Treatment (OST).
We are a team with experience in a variety of specialities from General, Learning Disabilities, Mental Health & Pharmacy Technician. Our dedicated team encourage nurses to develop and improve specific specialist roles e.g. Diabetes / Health promotion / Blood Pressure
At Gatwick IRC we are close to the M25 for easy access. We have a free staff car park at both sites and free canteen lunch at Tinsley.
The post holder will be required to work as an active member of the healthcare team to ensure delivery of a legal, safe, high quality specialist prison pharmaceutical service, including Substance Misuse which reflects National and Local Policy and Priorities, taking into account the high level of security that must be maintained at all times.
The post holder will:
- Provide day to day support to and co-ordination of other G4S healthcare staff working within Gatwick IRCs in relation to medicines usage and pathways.
- Undertake regular, quarterly, checks of all aspects of Controlled Drug usage. Instigate initial investigation into any discrepancies identified, including procedural issues and escalate issues and outcomes to the Head of Healthcare and G4S Chief Pharmacist.
- Contribute towards training of other G4S staff with regards to legal aspects of ordering, supply and destruction of medication, including Controlled Drugs.
- Oversee the Boots pharmacy team in delivering the technical aspects of the pharmacy services to Gatwick IRC’s, ensuring that the commissioned service is delivered. .
- To ensure a full audit trail of medicines is maintained at all times.
- Ensure the timely ordering of stock medication for Gatwick IRC’s from wholesalers, and including controlled drugs and ensuring full stock control systems are in place.
- Contribute to the development of and support implementation of medicine management strategy and associated services and projects
- Assist the Healthcare Team with the delivery and implementation of the medicines administration procedures at the Gatwick IRC’s.
- Work closely with the visiting pharmacist from Boots, ensuring that they are delivering the commissioned professional service.
- Carry out Medicines Use Reviews with residents, supporting residents in accessing advice from a pharmacist when necessary or requested.
Key responsibilities:To participate in the efficient day to day running of Healthcare- and in particular the Medicines Administration Point (pharmacy room) and assist senior managers, when required, in overseeing the management of pharmacy services.To identify, investigate and provide feedback and training on any procedural issues, in particular in relation to Controlled Drug usageTo maintain an up to date knowledge and be fully conversant of developments in local/national pharmacy procedures and to undertake regular review and development of these to support medicines management in the IRCs, e.g. Standard Operating procedures.Assist in the collection and analysis of workload data when requested. Identify areas where the Boots pharmacy service can be developed and plan changes in liaison with G4S managers.Provide problem solving advice about service provision and medicines management issues to residents.Complete resident’s record on S1 to record all medication supplies/administration- and including supply/administration of discretionary medicines.Provide advice to residents on compliance, concordance and prescribed medication.Plan and undertake medicines management checks for in possession medications.Assist in purchase of medicines, equipment and resourcesProvide a timely and efficient stock topping up service to the out of hours cupboard with responsibility for ensuring stock levels are appropriately maintained in accordance with an agreed stock list.Share responsibility for ensuring all, emergency resuscitation bags and first response bags are properly maintained and replenished and regular checks are completed,Maintain an up to date knowledge of developments in local/national guidance in order to maintain/deliver high quality servicesReport clinical incidents via G4S clinical reporting system and ensure Boots pharmacy are aware where appropriateEnsure that medicines are managed in line with published SOP’s