Communications & Events Officer
Umbrella rate: £16.00 an hour
Working on behalf of a Local Authority, Aatom Recruitment has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Communications & Events Officer on a 6 month contract. They would like someone who has the experience and knowledge in the following:
Purpose of the role -
- Communications and events officer to support digital communications (including social media and multi-channel content creation) working as part of the communications team.
- To support the Brand and Creative Manager and designer to deliver effective, value for money campaigns and marketing for Council services.
- To manage the implementation and day-to-day running of a communications asset management system for the organisation.
- To deliver marketing campaigns and monitor their effectiveness.
- To manage and plan resource for communications requests outside of agreed plans in collaboration with the brand and creative manager and designer.
- To build relationships with external suppliers and support the Brand and Marketing Manager with commissioning where appropriate.
- To monitor the communications budget, print budget and advise on communications spend outside of the service.
- To advise on most effective channels according to a brief.
- To assist in the planning and coordination of events, including publicity, and to other offer support to officers who are planning events. Where appropriate, to manage the planning and coordination of events.
- Where appropriate, to manage events which includes managing staff, volunteers and other participants and relations with other organisations involved in those events
- To manage the content of social media sites and channels.
- To draft marketing materials for the approval of the Brand and Marketing Manager
Duties and Responsibilities -
- Develop and implement marketing and communications campaigns to maximise their success and profile.
- Identify, implement and manage a communications asset management system which allows all council publicity material to be archived correctly, retrieved by the both Communications Team and the service and manages a workflow through to design.
- To assist in the planning and coordination of events, including publicity, and to offer support to officers who are planning events. Where appropriate, to manage the planning and coordination of key corporate events.
- Manage a database of event resources, including venues and service providers and costs.
- Where appropriate, to manage external events which includes managing staff, volunteers and other participants and relations with other organisations involved in those events
- Ensure (in collaboration with the Health and Safety team) that the client's service area and its staff comply with the Council's Health & Safety policies and procedures.
- To liaise with external service providers, as required.
- To support the Brand and Creative Manager with the procurement and running of key contracts such as print and distribution.
- To manage budgets for specific projects and day to day responsibility for monitoring the communications budget.
- To develop and manage social media content.
- To raise sponsorship and advertising for key channels including Borough Diary and some events.
- Support the designer in artworking / text updates to promotional materials.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience -
- 3 x A levels (or equivalent), Grades A-C including English or Degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field
- Demonstrable experience of planning, managing and delivering a range of external events on a cyclical basis.
- Two years demonstrable experience of marketing and campaign work
- Proven experience of managing relations with external suppliers, including negotiation and the ability to raise sponsorship and advertising.
- Experience of/an understanding of working in a political local government/ public services environment.
- Experience of managing public events and co-ordination of staff and volunteers involved in this.
- Experience of managing budgets
- Understanding of marketing techniques and channels.
- Able to use some design packages (Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Understanding of managing social media content in a business situation
- An ability to see 'the big picture' and how events and campaigns support the Council's objectives, its priorities and campaigns.