C++ Software Developer (Contract) - Tool Development
Renesas Electronics is one of the world's leading microcontroller companies. This role is a C++ software development contract working on the creation of our e2 studio environment, which provides the environment on which our customers develop their embedded code for our processors..
This is our new IDE and is being developed using the Eclipse framework. It supports most of our device and toolchain line-up. (Renesas, GNU, IAR and Green Hills)
Skill Set Required:
- Strong C++ developer in the client Windows application development domain (ie developing software products)
- Good strong engineering background. (NOT financial services, embedded applications, IT etc)
- Strong object orientated design skills.
- Multi-threaded application development experience
- Some experience or knowledge in embedded software development. (Developers sometimes have to view device manuals to check which pins should be set for a certain function or tweak linker section addresses based on device memory maps so some knowledge of this is required)
- Solid verbal and written communication skills. We are working in a team environment where communication is critical.
The contract is initially for 6 months with extensions highly likely. Daily rate up to c£375
NB: This is not an open invitation to agencies to send CVs. If we want to use you we will contact you!!
About The Work
Our European team is responsible for the product in total. Our development team manage the product requirements and roadmap.
There is a worldwide development team with different areas of responsibility.
Primarily in Europe we are working on the debugger development.
The actual product uses the Eclipse CDT plugins and GDB (GNU Debugger).
The user interface is developed in Java as you would expect from an Eclipse IDE.
We have different versions of GDBs for each device. We support nearly all Renesas devices in the IDE. (RL78, RX, RH850, SH and RZ)
We have developed a GDB server that uses the GDB remote debugger protocol. This communicates with the GDB for each device to perform the low level debug commands.
The GDB server does not have UI and is developed in C++. The design is OO.
From this development we are using Visual Studio 2010.
Primarily this role focuses on the GDB server development. What we would consider the debugger back-end.
However we interface with low level DLLs to communicate with the emulators and hardware.
The development is multi-threaded and this is important to show experience in this area.
Renesas devices and emulators have hardware debugging features which can be considered proprietary and are not well supported by GDB.
We have special views within Eclipse that use a special Renesas protocol to unlock these features in e2 studio.
The mainstay of our work is adding this functionality to the IDE. Items such as hardware trace, event points, performance analysis, coverage, etc.
We also continually support new devices and families within the IDE.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960278371