Operational Accountant Connections
Operational Accountant Connections
Reporting to - Core Connections Finance Manager
Location - Crawley
Business Unit and Department - Finance Directorate
Reference Number - 41903
Employment Period - 6 - 8 Months
Contract Type - Personal
CiP Level % / bonus - 5% (Bonus)
Salary Range - £40,000 - £50,000 - Depending on experience
Closing Date - 7/03/2018
We also offer :
Annual leave 25 days
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
UK Power Networks is Britain’s largest power network, responsible for delivering electricity to 7.8 million homes and businesses in London, the South East and the East of England.
We are a distribution company which operates and maintains the networks that deliver power, using 170,000 kilometres of underground cables and overhead lines, and 66,300 substations. We serve an area of 29,165 square kilometres, from The Wash in the East to the River Arun on the South Coast.
UK Power Networks is owned by the Cheung Kong group (CKI), which has extensive experience of operating regulated infrastructure operations around the world.
Our people are central to our business and we recognise the need to be able to attract, recruit and retain high performing employees with the potential, skills and experience necessary for the continued growth of our organisation.
Connections is part of the UK Power Networks and is responsible for undertaking all new regulated connections to the public electricity networks owned and operated by UK Power Networks, as well as carrying out contestable and private connection works to the public networks.
The Connections activities are primarily categorised into three main areas. These are: new connections, highway lighting and customer funded diversions.
The Operational Accountant is responsible for assisting in managing the month-end process and for delivering timely and accurate monthly management reports and profit/cost centre information for each activity. Within the regulated arena you will support the preparation and participate in the Connections budgeting/forecasting process.
In addition you will be required to contribute and support the development of regulatory performance reporting for inclusion within the monthly management reports. You will assist in the review of Connections activity and ensure that these remain compliant to regulatory rules.
In this role, you will also be responsible for the preparation of Connections performance data for the business sector and representing the Finance team with Connections operational management.
Core Connections has a turnover of around £190m per annum.
- Support the Core Connections Finance Manager
- Manage 1 assistant accountant who will directly report to you
- Produce accurate and timely monthly performance reports, understanding and communicate the key messages, and provide relevant analysis where appropriate.
- Work with the existing operational accountants within the Crawley team to provide support for adhoc reporting and operational queries from the business.
- Preparation of the OPR (operation performance report) & Weekly Flash reporting
- Processing accounting transactions
- Run and maintain the Results Analysis reports – Including downloading the weekly JOBWIP reports & reconciliation Deferred Income & WIP to the balance sheet.
- Investigate, challenge and correct Results Analysis output
- Collection and analysis of financial information as required by operational managers
- Provide analysis of costing information on an ad-hoc basis
- Assist with the production of detailed Budgets and Forecasts.
- Assist in the preparation of supporting data for input into Regulatory Reporting Pack and regulatory returns
- In conjunction with line manager continuously refine the SAP modules to optimise reporting functionality
- To participate in ad hoc projects as required
Nature and Scope:
This is a professional role which includes liaising throughout the business, communicating with finance colleagues and senior managers. You will be expected to have excellent communication skills and a professional attitude to work and those you deal with.
This position is part of the UKPN finance team supporting the activities of all the Regions. The post will be based at Crawley but the role may involve visits to other UKPN locations.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
The following are essential for this role:
- ACCA/CIMA Qualified
- Sound accounting skills with good knowledge of UK GAAP
- Knowledge of SAP accounting system
- Excellent spreadsheet skills (VLOOKUP, Pivot table & formulas)
- Strong analytical skills
- Lucid prose for the composition of business performance narratives
Appreciation of operating in a regulated environment is desirable
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Work on their own initiative to agreed thresholds
- Communicate at all levels.
- Be flexible in their approach
- Offer a high level of commitment
- Work to tight deadlines
- Maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders
A proactive, enthusiastic individual with the ability to work well as part of a team in a changing environment.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt ask!
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960270473