Principal Software Engineer
Principal Software Engineer
Leonardo - Engineering the future
We are an international leader in the development of cutting edge sensor products deployed across a wide range of airborne platforms for our Aerospace and Defence customers.
- Our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Our products help return service men and women safely home to their families
- Our surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- We are number 1 in Airborne Infra-Red Counter Measures, in Airborne Laser Designators and in Airborne Radar outside of the US
You will be joining our team of over 1,000 highly skilled engineers at our Edinburgh site. This is a great opportunity to bring your talents to our world class facility and form an integral part of Leonardo’s future.
We are looking for creative thinkers who have a passion for applying technology to solve real world problems and developing our next generation of world beating products.
The Software Engineering Function in Edinburgh has an opening for a Principal Software Engineer within the PicoSAR project. PicoSAR is a compact electronically scanning radar for Unmanned Aerial Systems.
Reporting to the PicoSAR Software Team Lead and working very closely with the Systems team in the areas of product/customer development and advanced research, you will provide gain system domain and software implementation knowledge of Radar Mode, Synchroniser and AESA Antenna control.
This a challenging, largely autonomous, role involving advanced capabilities at the forefront of Radar System technology that will reward the successful candidate through rapid development of sensor knowledge embedded software in for an exciting airborne environment that fosters development and research.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Definition of System/Software requirements
- Architectural responsibility for Systems/Software design implementation.
- Specification, design, implementation and integration of all software changes by incremental development from formal software baselines as agreed with Software Team lead.
- Production of all Software Work Products across the full Software Lifecycle.
- Support of System and Software Integration testing and performance analysis.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Ideally you will possess a 2:1, or better, relevant science based honours degree e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering (BSc (Hon)/ BEng (Hon)/ MEng).
- You will have a good understanding of Radar System/Software architecture and implementation and be a skilled software developer in real-time embedded systems with considerable experience of integrating and testing software at System level.
- Experience of Systems requirements specification, software development, systems integration is essential.
- You will have knowledge of the C programming language (GCC), Linux operating systems (workstation and embedded), user interface development in a Linux desktop environment (e.g. GNOME) and the use of SVN to manage software development activities.
- You will demonstrate excellent team working and interpersonal skills to ensure effective links with internal and external customers are maintained and developed.
So now you’re part of our team…
You will benefit from everything you would expect from an industry leading people focussed company. This includes flexible working arrangements and generous benefits that can be tailored to your individual lifestyle. You will also benefit from training opportunities, access to leisure facilities, childcare and retail vouchers and an award-winning pension scheme.
Due to the nature of the tasks involved, any candidate being considered mush be capable of achieving full SC security clearance and may require access to caveated information such as UK Eyes Only and ITAR.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960214297