Principal Environmental Advisor
This company is a government department that helps UK exporters and investors do business overseas. They are currently looking for a Principal Environmental Advisor to join their Environmental Advisory Unit (EAU).
Are you a competent and experienced Environmental Advisor with extensive knowledge in environmental management? If so, then read on, the ideal candidate will be able to analyse and report on technical information and communicate this with customers whilst conveying information to non specialist Business Managers and Senior Management.
They are seeking a candidate who is innovative, but has a methodical approach to their work with meticulous communication skills both verbal and written.
Your day to day responsibilities will include:
undertaking case impact analysis predominantly for complex or highly sensitive cases but also, as required, for less complex and sensitive cases including:
- gathering and appraising project information;
- benchmarking against international standards;
- discussing analysis with applicants, project sponsors;
- engaging with other Government Departments (on potential sensitive cases);
- producing impact analysis reports and making recommendations to manage compliance with international ESHR Standards;
- attending as required their Risk Committee to advise on environmental and social issues;
- monitoring and reporting on issued cases, including recommending subsequent action.
- working with the Head of the EAU in the development of policy and contributing policy papers for Executive Committee, Management Board and the Export Guarantees Advisory Council;
- taking the lead with the Head of the EAU in proposing and developing procedures for implementing the agreed policy;
- contributing to internal reports e.g. Their Annual Report and Accounts; attending international fora e.g. OECD Environmental Practitioners Group; and
- line managing and mentoring the environmental practitioners.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Degree in engineering or environmental science; or a relevant post graduate qualification e.g. IEMA Certificate in Environmental management or similar;
- Proven environmental management or assessment experience with significant site based experience; and
- Knowledge of international environmental standards and practice (e.g. World Bank Group environmental and social sustainability standards).
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- knowledge of their role and purpose, including knowledge of the technical aspects of the company supported projects and the ability to understand and assess such complex technical information; and
- knowledge of OECD and UK Government policies on the environment, human rights and international development.
This is an exciting time to join this company and the Environmental Advisory Unit. You'll enjoy early responsibility and continuous support and will be encouraged to make use of the training and development support available.
Candidates will also need to demonstrate and evidence on their application how they meet the Civil Service Core Competencies. Further information can be located via the civil service job portal.