Scala Developer / Big Data - Perm - Publishing
This publishing giant are committed to building cohesive teams where communication, support and innovation thrive. Instead of taking a top-down approach to new ideas, all members of the team are empowered to contribute. They believe that great ideas can come from anywhere. They are a truly global company with direct colleagues in all regions of the world. They are expanding their capabilities and offer a stimulating environment, enabling bright, passionate people to do their best work. This great company is a global information analytics company that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. They empower professionals and institutions to realize the potential of information to improve academic, corporate, and clinical performance, expand human knowledge, and generate positive-often ground-breaking-outcomes in critical domains of human endeavour.
The successful Developer will be designing, prototyping, and implementing robust big-data applications using best-practice agile development processes. You will have the latest technologies at your disposal, with Java 8, Scala, and Spark to feed and enrich their data lakes, identifying relevant information and making it available to their researchers and analytic tools. You will be building cloud infrastructure in AWS to host and monitor the applications, automating common tasks mercilessly and collaborating as part of a small, tight-knit, agile, quality-focused team to deliver tangible value to the company's customers.
- £65,000 - £85,000
- Strong bonus
- Private health care
- Flexible working hours
- Work from home 1-2 days a week
- And more
- Excellent programming skills on the JVM with either Java 8 or Scala
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment with a certain degree of uncertainty
- Comfortable working with SQL / NoSQL
- Agile - TDD / BDD, and automated deployment
- Comfortable working in Unix CLI and with cloud infrastructure
- Comfortable learning new technologies, languages, and tools on the job, to ensure that the product is not left behind in a rapidly evolving ecosystem
- A positive, collaborative mindset and a desire to deliver real business value to the customer